Chapter 27 | Helplessness

A week later...

Zane's POV

I took a deep breath and sighed while looking out the window. Somehow, I found myself at peace for once after a while. Iman was back beside me, my mother is currently being protected by the queen of England, my father is getting sued, and a divorce is also happening between them. 

Things were just best that way. The only reason my mother stood quiet all these years was that she had no choice and no one to rely on. Now, as her sons have grown up, she has us to lean on. 

"Sir, you're scheduled to go out on stage in five minutes." Zack walked in.

I turned to give him a nod and looked back out the window once he left. 

Today, a press conference was being held, announcing my leave from the royal family. It's not like I ever acquired anything through them. Whatever I own till today, I've made through my work. I never asked anyone for help. At least, not anyone from the family. 

I went through my short speech in my mind once more before turning around and making my way over the door. I took the elevator to the first floor of my building and waited for the doors to open, revealing camera flashes and voices trying to dominate others around them.

As soon as I stood up on the podium, in front of the microphone, they slowly started to get silent with just chatters being heard among them. 

"First, I'd like to thank everyone who's here and who have been waiting for so long."

I looked around the audience to see them all nodding in response. Then, I continued.

"It's come to my attention that there was a side to me that's always been stuck. Not necessarily in a good way because it was always a bother. It was always something that felt like a weight on my shoulders that I couldn't necessarily carry any longer. This is why I have called for this press conference to announce my dismissal from the royal family of the United Arab Emirates."

The noise came back with every single person rushing to get their questions heard and get my attention. One stood out to me and it was someone who had just dropped their recording device because of the constant shoving and pushing from others in the crowd.

"Ma'am," I called out and directly looked at her. She was confused and everyone went silent with their full attention on her.

"M...Me?" She pointed to herself using her index finger and I nodded, "What were you going to ask me?"

She looked as if she was in disbelief that she had even caught my attention but I've been in her position before, in the past to never forget what that kind of person looks like, being helpless.

"Well, I wanted to ask as to why you made this decision now. Why not back then? What changed?" 

"Hmm, that's an interesting question," I started, "Back then, I didn't have the strength to be able to face my problems. But then, someone came into my life and motivated me in ways they don't realize it. Therefore, I finally gathered the strength to do this today."

The woman smiled and said, "I hope that strength is beside you forever."

I smiled and nodded as a sign of thanking her. With that, I turned around, leaving the podium. The crowds all started moving again and filling the main lobby with their questions that I wouldn't be answering anymore. I never answered more than one person during a press conference unless it was strictly related to the business. But this time, it just so happens to be my matters.

"Sir, Iman's mother called you during your conference." Zack walked up to me, handing my phone and I took it to see a missed call from her. 

"Thank you, I'll take care of everything else from here," I told him