Chapter 12 | Formal

Iman's POV

I heard my ringtone go off and immediately reached for my purse to see that Zane was calling me. I picked it up and answered, 

"Hello?"

"Iman, there's going to be a formal event tonight where the men will be in the other house and the woman are going to be at a venue. My mother arranged this because of our wedding so you're expected to attend."

I sighed in frustration. Events, events, events. That's all I seem to hear nowadays. 

"How am I supposed to attend with an injured foot?" I kicked some of the water beneath my feet, feeling the coolness of the ocean as I walked just at the tip of it.

"That's where your guest will be. There's going to be someone to assist you there." He said.

"I'm sorry? My guest? Do I even trust this person?" I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. What was this man saying?

"Trust me, you do. Now, I have to hang up, I'm about to go into a meeting."

He did just that and hung up on me. After brunch, he started working and I told him to leave me with the car so I could go to the beach. But, of course I wasn't alone. I wouldn't have been able to walk if I was. I was actually with Zane's sister, Sheikha. 

She was on a phone call which is why I didn't feel like interrupting her. Otherwise, I would've informed her about what Zane just said.

She spoke as if she was having such a good conversation with the other party and I smiled at her enthusiasm. I kept watch of the horizon that was across from my viewpoint, waiting for her to finish.

"Phew, I'm sorry. That was my aunt." Sheikha apologized with an apologetic smile.

"No, it's fine. Zane also called and said your mother is holding a formal tonight."

"Formal?!" She jumped up, causing me to step back a little.

"Yes..." 

"Ya Allah. This is what I hate about them. They're so last minute! Iman! We have to go shopping!" she exclaimed.

"Wait, why?" I asked

"Because we've got nothing to wear! When mama hosts formals, everyone goes there with competition on their minds. And since this formal is especially dedicated to you, you have to make sure you're the one best dressed. And don't tell me Zane already put dresses for you because I saw that closet. That won't do. This is Dubai, habibti, it's not France."

Sheikha helped walk me to the car and set me down in the passenger seat as she rushed over behind the wheel and pressed on the gas like there was no tomorrow. Luckily, we were close to a shopping area. In Dubai, you were close to anything really. If you were at a gas station, you'd even find yourself a cafe or a museum close to you.

Once she parked the car, she helped me get out and we started going into the stores, even ateliers where she was pointing to all the dresses that weren't modest. Some were missing sleeves, some even had slits, and some didn't even have the full shoulder coverage.

"Sheikha, don't you think that those are all not appropriate?" I asked her 

"It's an all ladies event, meaning even all the security guards will be too. No one will come in a hijab, Iman. Trust me."

"But...still. I won't feel comfortable...." I looked down at the ground thinking of being hijab-free in front of all those women.

I hadn't even shown Zane my hair but these strangers were going to see it? And it's not like my hair is made of gold or anything, just...no one outside my family has seen it. Maybe Harper, but that's about it.