Chapter 6 | Flight

Iman's POV

What was this awkward feeling in the air? And why do I feel like part of the reason is me?

I watched as Zane and Carter were practically killing each other through gazes and didn't know what to do until Harper cleared her throat and said,

"Right this way gentleman."

She started walking before us and I just smiled widely at Mr.Carter, almost apologizing for nothing. 

"How have you been, Iman."

"Oh good. You know, just the usual." I replied.

"How's your sister? She hasn't payed me a visit since last time." He smiled.

"She's also fine. She's been too busy with school and her friends." 

This whole time, I felt uncomfortable and I don't usually feel like that when I'm speaking with Mr. Carter. But, I think it's the glare that I'm able to see from the corner of my eyes that I'm receiving from Zane. 

Finally, we reached my office and I opened the door, welcoming my "guests." I sat behind my desk and gave a minute to myself to just embrace its presence in front of me right now because it had been too long since I was last here. 

"So, Mr. Carter. What makes your situation so urgent that my fiance had to interrupt her break which was supposed to go on ."

Zane said as he made himself comfortable in the chair just across from my desk. On the other hand, Mr. Carter diverted his attention from Zane and looked back at me and said, 

"It's actually a good thing that the both of you are here. I called you in and said it was urgent knowing how close your wedding is. Therefore, I'm pleased to say to the both of you, that the venue is on me."

I gasped and my eyes went wide. 

"Mr. Carter, what are you saying? No, I can't let you do that."

"I've spoken to the people that Mr.Zane hired after talking with his company and the people he arranged. There's no need to change the venue. Just confirm the address and my people will be there and make the magic happen with the design."

He smiled and then Zane asked him, 

"Why are you doing this, may I ask?"

"Why I'm glad someone asked. You see, Iman and I have known each other since the day she came into my office before she became the woman she is today. She used to work for me and I had hired her after seeing her portfolio and knew she'd be something great. And now, to hear news that she is engaged, I wanted to thank her for how proud she has made me by doing just this much."

I was at a loss for words. Mr. Carter was one of my many role models in life and someone I'd never think of betraying. 

"Mr. Carter, you've got such a genuine heart to be doing this much. I'm far too embarrassed."

"Now, don't be child. Just think of it as meeting a great person who recognizes you for being the genuine person you are."

***

Throughout all these years I've been alive, not once was I able to adjust to the morning. I never was able to become a morning person. And on top of that, Zane's trip to Dubai had to be in the morning at 6:00.

The sun was still not up yet and here I was, ready with my luggage. The only thing missing was my headscarf that I still needed to put on which only took about a couple minutes. It's never too long of a process unless I have to change it up for a certain event.