Chapter 26 | Compliments

Zane's POV

"So you're telling me that my daughter was tortured by her own FATHER IN LAW?!"

Iman's mother was in utter shock after finding out the situation Iman went through. We purposefully didn't let her in the room, hoping to explain things and calm her down, so she was aware of Iman's condition as well. And by "we," I meant Hamdan and Harper as well. 

"Yes, and I'm terribly sorry. I know and I realize that she was hurt while she was under my protection and she even went to the extent of donating her kidney to me, but I'm making you a promise that Iman won't experience something like that ever again."

I asked for forgiveness and didn't dare to look her in the eyes because Iman had told me how her mother was when she was genuinely raged. I kept looking at the tiled floor and waited for a response from her. After a few seconds, she finally said,

"Zane, my child. I'd never blame you for such a thing. I blame whoever did this to her. I also blame myself for being such a mother like this."

I looked up and immediately asked her, "Why do you say so?"

She sighed, "When Iman barely started figuring out the world and the meaning of life, she saw things and experienced things most children wouldn't have. She's got parents who are divorced, she's even separated from her brothers, she's even had to sell some of her hair for her father when she was younger all because of his darn debt."

Just as I thought I knew so much about my fiance, turns out, there were things she left unspoken and hadn't mentioned.

"But sadly, it didn't end there for her. She had even almost gotten raped during her high school years and that was soon followed by a sudden marriage her father was willing to sell her off for. She was traumatized then as well. She lost so much weight all because she wouldn't even eat. Iman wasn't in this figure before. She was much chubbier, filled with fat you'd hardly recognize her if you saw her past."

I clenched my fists after processing all this. I started to become more and more disappointed in myself. I tried not to become the monster my father is, but I wasn't as ideal of a man Iman needed me to be. 

"The moral of all of this is, my child has been damaged mentally once, the second time isn't going to be any easier and I tried to do everything to prevent it from happening. At the end of the day she's stronger than I'll ever be in two lifetimes. The only thing I beg of you people is to be in her surroundings and make her feel she's worth much more than she thinks she is. I already failed that job," she turned and faced me this time, "Now, Zane, it's up to you to change her life in the best way as possible."

I grabbed both her hands and held them tightly as I said, "I would sacrifice my soul for hers any day. I'll make sure she knows how much she's worth around me. I promise it."

"Thank you," she sobbed and started to caress me on my shoulder.

Iman's POV

Mama left through the door after we both said our goodbyes and I sighed, resting my head on the pillow just behind me. 

I made a small prayer as I lay there, in a state of calm until I heard the door click, followed by Zane's figure, entering. He made sure to close the door as soft as he could and I couldn't help but chuckle at his attempt. 

He turned around and made his way over to me. I watched him as he held the blanket open for himself and slowly get in beside me. Confused and shocked, I wasn't able to utter a word. Instead, I waited for him to explain himself.

Next, he placed his head on the pillow and said, "Lay next to me."

My heart skipped a beat. I stared at the distance for a few seconds until my head naturally turned and slowly placed itself on the pillow. I was now facing him but just now, it felt like my mind wasn't attached to my head.