Chapter 9

Atlantis

King Nereus was patrolling the kingdom of Atlantis, looking for Mera. He had yet to see her ever since yesterday morning and had not heard from her since. He swam up to one of his guards, who immediately stiffened in posture when he noticed the king coming his way.

"Soldier, have you seen Princess Mera recently?" Nereus asked the soldier.

"No your highness. Although a friend of mine did claim that she was headed towards the western area of the Atlantic Ocean." the soldier replied.

"How come you didn't bring this to my attention earlier soldier?" Nereus asked in a slightly more strict tone of voice. The soldier instantly bowed his head down.

"Forgive me your highness. I assumed that you would have already known." he replied.

"Little lesson for you soldier, DAA: Don't Assume Anything." Nereus said, before swimming off towards the edge of the kingdom.

'Why in the world would she be traveling to the western Atlantic area? That's an area populated by surface-dwellers.' Nereus thought to himself. Then at that thought, he stopped in his tracks.

Could it be that Mera is going to the surface world? Is that what she's been up to as of recently? Nereus shook these thoughts away and went to the palace for some thinking time. But he made a mental note to question Mera the next time he saw her.

'Neptune knows what that girl is up to.' he thought.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York

"But Mera, how do we get to Atlantis?" Peter asked. Before Mera could even open her mouth, Arthur answered first.

"Swim of course!" he said, before laughing. Peter was confused at Arthur's behavior for a minute before it clicked in his head what was going on.

"Dude, this isn't Peter Pan." he said in a flat tone of voice.

Mera just looked between Peter and Arthur in confusion. "What are you two talking about? Another story of yours Arthur?" she asked, referring back to the Pinocchio story Arthur mentioned in Italy.

"Maybe......" Arthur said once his laughter subsided. Mera rolled her eyes and turned back to Peter.

"Anyways, yes that would be our way to get back to Atlantis. But if you were to try it, you'd drown." Mera said.

"Hey, come on now, I can swim." Peter said in his perky light tone of voice. Mera had to smirk a little at his behavior.

"Well, unless you can plummet thousands of feet underwater in a matter of seconds, and still be able to breathe properly, which you can't, you are at a disadvantage." Arthur said, leaning on the wall. Peter noticed that there was a giant hole in the floor on the corner of the building. But he paid little attention to it because Mera spoke again.

"You will have to travel in my brand new submarine." Mera said.

"Submarine?" Peter asked, interested. "Interesting. But wait for a second. I'll be right back with something. I won't be long." he added, before rushing out of the building and heading outside.

"You two lovebirds can have it all to yourself. I'm gonna swim." Arthur said with a smirk.

"Arthur! We're not lovebirds!" Mera instantly said.

"Oh, come on Mera. I see that light dance in your eyes when you look at Peter. I've seen the smile that comes on your face whenever you think about him. Just admit it. You like him." Arthur said.