Chapter 22

Peter stood in between Mera and MJ, because he could sense that there was some tension forming between the two, and he doubted that they wanted to be by each other. Mera took the opportunity to grasp his hand tightly in her own as they prepared for the ceremony to start. Mayor Osborn walked up to the podium with Officer Davis beside him.

"I present Officer Davis with the Department Medal of Honor for his acts of bravery, loyalty and determination to protecting our city." Osborn announced. The audience erupted into cheers as the mayor placed the medal upon Jeff Davis. Peter couldn't feel any happier for Jeff, for if it weren't for him, he probably wouldn't be here right now.

"Thank you." Jeff said, stepping up to the podium. "I share this honor with my family. My wife, Rio and my son, Miles. Without their support, I couldn't do what I do." he continued.

Then, all of a sudden, Peter's head began buzzing madly. His spider sense was going nuts at the moment. Then he saw a person driving up in a car and getting out, before he turned to a black and gray color entirely, and his eyes started glowing. Peter then got a flashback about what Yuri was telling him about the glowing eyes of the cop that released Shocker. Then he gasped as he saw that an armed bomb was strapped to his chest.

"Peter? What's wrong?" Mera asked, concerned. Her troubled tone of voice caught the attention of MJ as well. But Peter paid them little attention, because what he saw next absolutely made his heart stop completely. He saw the dark energy that was used by the Demons erupting out of the hands of a man. And that man, much to his horror.........was Martin Li! Li appeared to look towards the podium as well, and Peter's eyes followed his gaze.

The deputy mayor all of a sudden started to turn black and gray with negative energy, just as the bomb on the first guy exploded. The blast sent an impact across the entire ceremony area. Then, to make matters worse, the deputy mayor opened his jacket and revealed another armed bomb. Officer Davis noticed and instantly pushed the deputy away towards the stairs and then he dove to the ground, just as the second bomb started to explode. Peter then went to Mera and MJ and dove at them.

"Get down!" he yelled blocking both of them from the blast. As a result, he was knocked unconscious.

"PETER!!!" both Mary Jane and Mera screeched as they rushed towards him.

"Peter, wake up! Please wake up!" Mera said, grasping his hand tightly.

"Peter, move something if you can hear me!" MJ said, cradling Peter's head on her lap. "Pete come on, wake up!

"Peter Parker! Please wake up! NOW!" Mera cried out, as more explosions went on around the area. Then gun shots were heard and the unmistakable voices of Demons in the distance. "Oh you've gotta be kidding me." she murmured, but continued to stay at Peter's side. She observed his face as he laid there. He had cuts and bruises all over his face.

"Who is responsible for all of this?" MJ said to Mera after a minute.

"Demons, that's who." Mera replied with utter disdain in her voice. MJ went back to trying to revive Peter, as Mera heard a voice behind her.

"Enough! We have to leave....Now!" it said, and the voice sounded strangely familiar to her. She whirled around to find the owner of the voice. To her shock, she saw Martin Li, the head guy at F. E. A. S. T., walking away, with all of the Demon thugs behind him.

"I don't believe it!" Mera said to herself as she watched. "All along, it was him that was leading them?!" She heard groaning behind her and swerved her head in the direction. "Peter!" she screamed, as Peter was starting to regain consciousness.

"Mera? Mary Jane?" he asked, looking at the two women. MJ hugged him tightly for a minute. Mera, who was already fuming at the recent events, kept her cool for now and waited until he was out of her embrace. Then she finally pounced onto him.