Chapter 36

Spider-Man had just told Yuri that the precincts were secure, and that they had to sign off for a bit. He and Mera were now zipping through the city to the Harlem center to help May and Miles. While they were going however, Spider-Man got an unexpected call from Mary Jane.

'What's she calling about now?' Spider-Man asked, curiously. He then answered the call.

"Peter! Thank god! We need you at the Veteran's center! Where are you?" she asked. Spider-Man tried to ignore the grim look on Mera's face as she heard her voice through her communicator.

"Got held up. Are you alright? What's happening?" he asked.

"The convicts started a fire!" MJ answered, making the looks of surprise on both Mera's and Spider-Man's faces turn from surprised to horrified. "We got the staff out, but May and Miles are trapped inside! I'm trying to find a way into them but the fire's spreading so fast!" she continued.

"Stay where you are MJ, I've got this!" Spider-Man said, hanging up. Then he increased in speed in his web swinging, which at this point he didn't even know was possible. But he didn't care at the moment, for all he cared about was saving May and Miles.

The two finally arrived on top of the building, and much to their horror, there was indeed a huge fire burning throughout the building. "Got enough water to take this out?" Spider-Man asked.

"No. I'll have to head to the ocean to get more." Mera answered. "It's not far from here, just go and save them!" Mera shouted, before dashing off towards the direction of the ocean.

Spider-Man didn't need to be told twice, as he burst through a window. He landed on a wall and searched around the place. It was incredibly hard to see through the flames and smoke, but he didn't let that stop him.

"May?! MAY??!!!" he called out, straining his ears for any trace of voices.

"Help!" he heard in the distance from the upper floors. He jumped onto a wall, which shook as a result. He jumped off of it just as it fell to the sea of flames below. Spider-Man then landed on another wall, grateful that this one was still stable, and searched again. "Here! We're over here!" came Miles' voice form his right.

Spider-Man then got towards a ledge, and peering below, he could see them. Aunt May and Miles on a piece of the broken wood floor. It started to break off, so Spider-Man shot his webs at the floor to stabilize it. He then saw to his left that there was a window to their right.

"Hurry, get to the window!" Spider-Man called, coughing as he spoke. The puffs of smoke were starting to take effect on him. He could feel himself growing weaker, but he mustered all of his strength into holding that floor up.

Miles and May looked over and saw the window, but also saw that flames were beneath the window's location. And it was way too far of a jump to make. "It's too far!" Miles called out.

"Hold on!" Spider-Man said, squatting down and holding the webs. Then a figure out of the corner of his eye emerged from the window, and his eyes widened when he saw it was Mary Jane. She must have found a fire escape to climb through.

MJ surveyed what was going on and quickly saw a large piece of wood. "Brace yourselves!" she called as she shoved the large piece of wood to the floor that Miles and May were on to let them cross over on.

In the process, the smoke was taking an even greater toll on Spider-Man, to the point where he couldn't even squat anymore. He had to literally lie down and hold the webs with one hand. But that hand was losing its grip on the web lines attached to the floor and it began to creak.

He did see that May was able to cross over to the window. But before she went out, she flashed another look back at Spider-Man. And this look held an immense amount of concern, as of she knew who he was.