Chapter 40

Mera stood by the kitchen as May continued to cough in her seat. She was really starting to worry about her catching the sickness. And she was especially worried for Peter's sake. She then decided to walk outside, where Peter was still trying to get a hold of Miles.

"Any luck with Miles?" she asked.

"No. He's still not answering." Peter replied. "This should have been an easy milk run for him. Don't know why he's not responding. How is May?" he asked.

"She's........not all that great." Mera said wincing a little as the tense face Peter made as a result.

"Perfect." Peter mumbled to himself, and turning away.

"We'll get through this Pete-" Mera started to say, when Peter suddenly cut her off.

"Miles! There you are!" he shouted. Mera looked in the direction Peter was still facing. Sure enough, it was Miles, carrying two containers of what she assumed was the antibiotics. 'These surface dwellers sure know some fancy names to give to objects.' she thought to herself.

"Hey Pete. Sorry I never responded." Miles said. He sounded a little out of breath. "Ran into trouble on the way."

"Trouble? What kind of trouble?" Peter asked.

"Once I got to the relief center, a bunch of the convicts were already raiding the place and trashing everything. I had to sneak by all of them just to get to the antibiotics." Miles explained.

"Oh, Miles, I'm so sorry about that." Mera said, coming up and placing a hand on Miles' shoulder. "What matters now is that you're safe." she added.

"Thanks, but that's not all that I saw over there." Miles said. Peter and Mera were silent, waiting for Miles to continue. "I saw the Rhino and Scorpion interrogating some of the Sable officers that were there. The Rhino nearly saw me and crushed me. I don't know if they're still there or not, and I am not going back there to find out."

"I don't blame you." Peter replied, looking at Mera. She cast Peter a knowing glance, before turning back to Miles.

"What matters now is getting these antibiotics into the shelter now." Mera said, leading Miles back inside. This gave Peter an opportunity to go to the roof and change into his Spider-Man gear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spider-Man waited on the roof of F.E.A.S.T. for Mera to come out to the roof. He had just gotten off the phone with Yuri and informed her of Rhino attacking Oscorp's relief center. She told him that he's hitting the Harlem center next. So now he was preparing to have another round with the big dumb Rhino.

"Thanks for waiting." Mera said, finally arriving on the roof. "I heard the call. We're going after Rhino?" she asked, changing into her Atlantean gear behind some of the crates.

"Yep, and there is a chance that Scorpion might be there too." Spider-Man said. That's when Mera appeared from the crates in her suit, and she had a look of determination and anxiousness in her eyes.

"Good." she said, cracking her knuckles.

"Let's go." Spider-Man said, and the two started swinging towards the center.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The heroic couple finally arrived at the scene. Through all the crates and cranes and rolls of cinder block being held up, they could still easily pick out the giant villain terrorizing the Sable agents up ahead.

Spider-Man grabbed one of the giant rolls of the giant rolls of cinder block and threw it at Rhino. His aim was on the money, as it hit Rhino in his back, causing the villain to fall to his knees. Mera just observed with an impressed smile on her lips. She knew that Peter was strong before but.......damn.