Chapter 23

The couple planned to change in an alleyway close by the address. They figured that if the Demons saw them swing in, they would alert the others and destroy any evidence. And in addition, the place MJ texted Peter was only a block away from where the apartment was, so it was a huge plus for them.

Peter and Mera went into the elevator to go down. Peter was smiling from ear to ear, seeing how Mera handled the elevator buttons. When someone came down the hall from where they entered, he saw Mera press the close door button, so that they couldn't join us.

Peter released a laugh at that moment. The elevator doors opened once they got to the floor level and they headed out of the apartment. But just as they walked out the doors, they were met with a surprise.

"Arthur?" Mera asked, not expecting to see her king/friend at the moment.

Arthur was indeed walking past the doors of the building, when he heard his name called. He was wearing a leather jacket and pants and was not carrying the trident with him. "Oh! Well that was easy." he said, walking to them with a cheeky grin. "What's going on pal?" he asked, patting Peter's shoulder.

"Too much." Peter responded.

"Arthur, what are you doing here?" Mera asked. Arthur looked in Mera's direction with a quirked brow.

"It's nice to see you too." he said. Mera groaned and rolled her eyes. "But I'll tell you why I'm here....It's you." he said.

"Me?" Mera asked in confusion. Peter was also confused at the last statement.

"Yes." Arthur said, a soft look taking over his face. "Your dad wants you to come back........home. He says he wants to apologize."

Peter's head whipped in Mera's direction. He kind of tensed a little at the thought of Mera leaving. Mera's facial features only showed one emotion.......shock.

"He wants to apologize?" she asked. Arthur nodded with a small smile. Mera looked at Peter, before turning back to Arthur. "Arthur, we are caught up in something right now. It's not an appropriate time to return...home. Once it is the right time, I will return and talk to him." she said.

Arthur nodded in response. "Sounds fair to me. I'll go and tell him, you two handle your......business." he said with a smirk, before turning and leaving. Peter blushed and looked at his feet at Arthur's comment. Mera on the other hand looked at the retreating king in confusion, before looking at Peter.

"What was that about?" she asked.

"He thinks that we are busy doing.........you know......" Peter trailed off. Mera was still confused for a moment, but then realization struck her.

"I swear to god, that guy is gonna get it someday." she said, glaring in the direction in which Arthur had disappeared. If looks could kill, Arthur would be a dead man right now, based off the look Mera was giving him.

"Never mind him, we gotta focus on the Demons." Peter said, gently grabbing Mera's arm. Mera sighed before she turned to look at him.

"Agreed." she said. Then the two continued to walk towards the address.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, dressed in their uniforms, Spider-Man and Mera ere perched on top of the building next to the address. Spider-Man surveyed the area. There were guys in masks walking all over the place.

"MJ's hunch was right. This place is crawling with Demons." Spider-Man said. Mera looked around and saw a few big pipes in a pile near the fence of the building.

"Let's take them out." Mera said, getting ready to jump, but Spider-Man beat her to the punch and held her back.

"Wait!" he said. "Let's be stealthy about it. They could still destroy the evidence, remember?"