Shawn Mendes; People Fall in Love in Mysterious Ways

You had known Shawn since you were in first grade. You had grown up in the same community, went to the same school, rode on the same bus, and went to the same playgrounds. That's where you first started your friendship, on the playground.

You were in second grade and were wiggling a loose tooth while walking around the playground. All of a sudden, Shawn came up to you and asks if you have a loose tooth.

You nod your head.
Shawn: "I just lost my first tooth yesterday. See?"
He pulled his bottom lip down to show you the missing tooth.
You: "Did it hurt?"
Shawn: "A little, but I woke up this morning with two dollars under my pillow from the tooth fairy."
He sees you wiggle it again.
Shawn: "Wow. That's really loose. Why don't you pull it?"
You: "I'm scared."
Shawn: "Do you want me to pull it?"
You think for a minute and then nod your head.
He reaches his chubby fingers into your mouth and counts. "One... Two..." He yanks on it before he hits three.
You blink really hard to get rid of the pain, but a single tear escapes your eye.

He reaches up and wipes it away.
Shawn: "Here you go. Are you ok?"
You open your eyes and Shawn is holding out your tooth.
You nod your head.

That was the first day you and Shawn were friends. Now almost 15 years later, you were super close. So close, in fact, it was a little strange to the people around you both.

Shawn was a celebrity now with his music and a major heart-throb. You hadn't looked at Shawn in a romantic way until one night after a show.

Shawn was coming down from his dressing room after cooling off and changing. He didn't have his shirt on and had the biggest grin on his face. He was also barefoot and holding his shirt.

You look up at him and your heart was in your throat

You look up at him and your heart was in your throat. For the first time you were seeing Shawn and were mesmerized by his looks. He was so attractive.
Shawn: "Earth to Y/N?"
You snap out of it.
Shawn: "What's wrong?"
You feel yourself blush and look away. You were embarrassed and definitely didn't want to tell him why. You just walked toward the entrance of the venue.
Shawn: "Wait! Where are you going?"
You: "Out to the car. You coming?"
Shawn: "Yeah. But you realize we're not through with what's on your mind, right?"
You looked up at him, he had put his shirt on. You were thankful. You nod your head.

You wanted to cry. All the girls in high school thought you were simply crushing on Shawn and you had always told them that you were just friends. Why was that changing? What would he think? If you told him, would he not want to hang out with you anymore?

You got in the waiting car with Shawn right behind you and multiple security guards with him.

Time Skip

You didn't end up having that conversation until almost three days later. You and Shawn were home from tour and you came downstairs to find him propped up against the couch, sitting on the floor, singing quietly.

 You and Shawn were home from tour and you came downstairs to find him propped up against the couch, sitting on the floor, singing quietly

You stopped and watched him. He was breathtaking. He was closing his eyes and strumming on his guitar. He looked so relaxed and you listened as he sang.

"Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars. Place your head on my beating heart. Thinking out loud. Maybe, we found love right where we are."

You heard your mom start the shower upstairs and that brought both you and Shawn back to the present.

You walk into the room.
You: "That was beautiful."
Shawn: "Thanks."
You: "So, who you singing it about? You don't just close your eyes and sing like that not thinking of someone in particular." You sit down on the floor next to him.

He starts strumming it again and watches his hands as he does so.

You wait a second for him to respond. Did you overstep?
You: "Shawn, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to."
Shawn looks at you and starts singing.

"I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways. Maybe just the touch of a hand.
Oh me I fall in love with you every single day. And I just want to tell you I am."

He stops playing and you are both blushing. You want to look away but you can't. He smiles and breaks the connection first.

Shawn: "Does that answer your question?"
You look down.
You: "How long?"
Shawn: "Since the day I met you and I yanked your tooth out."
You look up and see Shawn run his hands through his hair.

Shawn: "So? What do we do now? I mean?"
He seems so awkward. You are just trying to find the right way to tell him you feel the same way.

You have an idea.

You stand up and go to the piano in the room.
You start playing a song and singing.

"I have died everyday waiting for you.
Darling, don't be afraid I have loved you for a thousand years."

You stop playing and face him, he's still sitting on the floor smiling.

You sing, "I'll love you for a thousand more."

He puts aside his guitar and stands up. Before you can react, he grabs your face and slowly places his lips on yours.