Entry # 7

This is unreal.

You know how I previously mentioned that it was one of those fanfictions where I implied that the regular world of Harry Potter was built upon the foundations and all but expanded in?

Then you're going to want to know that Hogsmeade (arguably part of Hogwarts Grounds), Knockturn Alley and Diagon Alley aren't the only areas in the British Wizard World. You'd think that for a country as big as Britain and a population as small as the British Wizards they'd make little changes to the scenery around them, but apparently not. I noted this weird looking post with one arrow directing to the busy street of Diagon Alley one way, and a sign that I mistakenly assumed was part of the labels of Diagon Alley.

It wasn't. It was a path mark for a different sector in the opposite direction of Diagon. The sign itself held a fairly simplistic design, which seemed to me more like an intricate rune depicting the moon of all things.

And get this.

The street was called Maanu Alley. Searching it up (thank you, stupidly convenient WiFi connected shades), 'Maan' meant moon in Afrikaans with an added u to make it, of all things imaginable, a pun that said 'Manually'.

Is that why there was a double rectangle behind the crescent shaped insignia? To look like the cover and the spine of a book? I'll have to admit, its pretty clever. And you had to 'manually' find your way into the section by navigating this way and that.

All things aside, my venture to another part of the Wizarding World bore a bountiful harvest. The library was incredibly large, full of information and basic wizard etiquette that I needed to know yesterday dammit. So many altercations between Potter and Weasley could have been avoided if both of them and Granger bothered to remember that there were books on how to adjust your behavior. Weasley and Potter, maybe I could understand, but Granger? She loved books, didn't she? She should have sniffed this out!

Then again, that woman had been described to having a one-track mind (supposedly). She could have read one book and that book made her decide that only books at Hogwarts could be trusted. Even after the Headmaster apparently proved worthy of mistrust. Common sense really does diminish in this magical realm.

I think I'd rather be a muggle, thanks.

In any case, I'd also picked up some books on some of the history on politics. Obviously, it wasn't worded as such, but to spare myself and the BWW (British Wizarding World) the embarrassment I won't be telling you the exact titles. Trust me, if you ever go looking for these, you'll know when you see it.

The point is, the political history is actually just a historical narrative that dictates exactly every action every noble ever made, good or bad. There are actual transcripts of what they said to each other. It's amazing. I'm pretty sure there was a lot of censure Purebloods made by pointedly not giving muggleborns anything about their culture and served to drive an invisible wedge between 'high class' and 'low class', but this?

This was a cultural goldmine if one cared to look deeper. I'm guessing Purebloods still think muggles are too stupid to gather and analyse information from different sources.

I won't even touch the fact that it is completely ironic how purebloods are, at their core, striving to enhance magical heritage, society and customs; but selfishly keeping that culture to themselves and outright killing their own population just to feel superior. You can't have both things, guys, pick one and stick with it.

I got to keep the book, somehow. The librarian told me that not much youngsters keep up with relevant history these days (which, bravo, man, throwing shade at Hogwarts' educational flops like that) so I could keep it, considering the fact that they had several other copies lying around. The librarian also made me pay for the book, which wasn't much of a surprise. I also applied for a library card, which conveniently (the librarian winked?) did not have to register any type of name as it actually recorded my magical signature instead.

So I took my chance and borrowed a whole stack of books on other subjects like charms, geographical landscapes, and obscure magical theories that I could actually wrap my head around. The librarian seemed pretty happy and told me to come back whenever for a chat and some tea. I jokingly asked if they had coffee.

This made the librarian sob happily (there were actual tears) while I stood awkwardly because what does a dignified Strider do in that sort of situation without showing emotion?

Offer the sobbing librarian tissues, obviously.

My information gathering about social customs is a success. I'll catch an inn, get some sleep, and look at my magical wardrobe tomorrow.

[timaeusTestified is Offline]