Interlude: Encounter

"Hello, prince." 

Dirk watched the blonde woman warily. She had somehow overrode his glasses' functionality. But he couldn't tell what she wanted. She called him 'prince', which was pretty damning a title.

She didn't see Ronald Billius Weasley.

She saw him. The Destroyer of Souls.

The Prince of Heart.

"Terribly sorry for the interruption," she fleetingly patted his shoulder, walking past him and sitting on a bench he'd just passed. "Won't you spare time to chat?"

It hit Dirk. This woman, her absent-minded gaze, her wistful silver eyes and the gentle whispy-like way she moved...This was Luna Lovegood.

And he was fairly sure she was firmly in the Potter side of things.

"Don't worry, Prince," she looked at him with that vacant gaze, far sharper than he would have liked. "Harry Potter won't know a thing, if you take my offer."

"What's the catch?" He replied, taking a seat and leaving a gap between the two of them as much as the bench would allow.

Lovegood hummed. "Well...I need you for a favor."

"I'm Ronald Weasley..."

"No, you're really not."

Dirk sighed. "And if I don't comply?"

Luna smiled at a dancing bowtruckle. "The nargles are plenty mischievous, but they've grown terribly fond of Harry Potter and Tom."

Dirk rubbed the bridge of his nose. "And do I get anything out of this?" Like hell was he going to do anything for anyone unless it was in his full interest.

Luna eyed him. "Hmmm...a close one is nearby. He's been dreadfully worried about you. The chessmaster's reach can be rather choking."

Dirk stared at her, bewildered, pressing his lips together. "Who would ever want to team up with me?" He wasn't an idiot. Someone worrying about him definitely spelled potential ally. You didn't have to slap him across the face with a fish to figure that out.

Luna giggled, reaching a hand out in front of her, grasping at nothing. "Silly Prince. A Chess Player has more than one pawn. This pawn is drowning under spoken words and hidden barbs, countering bribes of wealth and prosperity, and keeping his secrets under lock and key."

Dirk fell silent. Spoken words...wordplay? The only way to acquire wealth was a good paying job like in the Ministry...

But who was under the ministry that could potentially be played by Dumbledore?

Luna didn't wait for him to figure it out and stood up. He thought she would be leaving, but all of a sudden she grabbed his arm and dragged him away.

"...where are you-?" He tried to ask, but it didn't seem like Luna heard him.

Finally, they arrived at a shabby looking warehouse.

Dirk stared at the ruined building once and took a step back.

"Wait, Lovegood, I don't think --"

"You need this, Dirk Strider." Luna lost her absent gaze and stared at him directly, eyes sharp as steel. "The nargles around your head are proving to be harmful."

There was a distinct foreboding feeling around her words that made Dirk fall eerily still.

"Listen well," her words turned into a haunting melody. "He who enters this realm shan't make a move," her eyes glowed with a seer's power. Dirk should know, he's seen Rose do it. "he shan't say a word till he understands."

Understand what exactly?

"He who comes to this realm shall enter through another's eyes. He who [governs the innermost turmoil of our hearts] will [mend this bound and broken soul]. He will [reignite the flame of passion, the cogs will shed their rust and begin turning once more.]"

Luna held his hands. Underneath, a magic circle began shining through years of uncleaned dust, displaying intricate patterns and runes that Dirk could not comprehend, not with the meager knowledge that he had. He tried to take his hands away, but to his shock, he couldn't move. Not with the ritual happening around him.

No matter how much he struggled, he simply couldn't break out. Here's hoping it wasn't a Just or Heroic Death, right?

"Let him realize," Luna chanted. "Let them unite. Hear me, O spirits Above. Take his soul and let this master know."

The runic circle shined brightly, and the characters on the floor duplicated themselves and floated upwards, towards Dirk. They plastered themselves on his skin, but to Dirk's relief, they didn't hurt.

His chest surged with an unknown heat, and he fell on one knee. Luna stood before him, her magic reaching its peak, leaving a shimmering trail of light around her.

Dirk began to feel dizzy. He didn't understand what was happening, he couldn't tell left from right anymore. His world spun before his eyes, and it took all of his strength not to slump down on the floor and stay upright.

"Sleep, Prince of Heart," a voice murmured. "No one will find you here."

That sounded really tempting. Just this once, maybe Dirk could let go.

What more could he have to lose, after all?

Dirk fell asleep.

And

then

they

woke

up.