Clues

"They found some traces of dark magic across the Westminster Bridge." Reginald told the two wizards standing before his desk. A fine pair, he thought to himself in amusement as his orbs went to Theseus's impassive face that gave nothing away, to Roo's features that were alight with barely concealed excitement. He felt like smiling as he remembered how it felt like to be in her shoes. Must be an exciting thing, indeed.

"What kind?" Theseus asked.

"A presence, they said. No one's quite sure, which is why I'd like you to check in and see for yourself." Reginald nodded towards the said girl at his side, "Miss Lee, I guess you are accompanying him?"

"Yes, sir."

"Alright then. Bring Adam as well. He's been getting restless these past few days."

Theseus frowned, "Who's Adam--"

The door swivelled open to cut off Theseus's words and a tan, dark-haired man walked in, built with muscle and hard mass. As Roo glanced over her shoulder, her eyes widened in recognition.

"A-Adam?" She gaped at the said young man, who blinked down before realization dawned upon his features. His face broke into a grin.

"Roo! What you doing here? Oh my god, it's been so long!" Before she knew it, he had enveloped her in his arms, holding her tight to his chest as she squeaked out a request for him to lessen his hold.

He pulled back to grab onto her shoulders, "what are you doing here? You should've told me you had moved to England, and in the British Ministry of all places!"

Roo opened her mouth to respond, only to realize that Theseus and Reginald were staring at the pair with raised eyebrows, and quickly flushed in response. 

She pulled away slightly and squeaked out a "W-We're school friends."

"As I had guessed from your very intimate reunion." Reginald let out a chuckle when Roo's embarrassment deepened. He ushered Adam forward, "Quair, this is Theseus Scamander. He'll be head in charge for this task."

"My pleasure," Adam waved with a grin.

Theseus, on the other hand, did not look amused in the slightest.

"Let's meet back in Diagon Alley at three. That'll give us enough time to go grab some stuff. We might have to stay overnight and watch the place." Theseus ordered, his tone short and choppy. Without another word, gave Reginald a nod before walking out. The three individuals just stared at the door and Roo felt like squirming at the uncomfortable atmosphere her boss had left behind. She wished he didn't have to be so awkward. Being decent would've been enough.

"Well, he seems like a jolly old fellow." Adam commented. He exchanged a look with Roo, who had to bite down on her lip to keep herself from laughing.

"She might laugh but Theseus isn't one to be joked around with," Reginald commented, "Especially not when he's on shift." 

"He looks like he has a stick up his butt--"

"Quair." Reginald snapped, "Not the moment. The man is grieving, and you shall respect that." 

Adam visibly stiffened at his words, "Yes, sir." 

"Good. Now go, both of you, and try not to make Theseus hate you." 

-----------------------------

Theseus was already waiting when Roo stumbled through one of the fireplaces lining the main courtyard. He was dressed just like before, with a small rucksack slung over his shoulder. It would still be a few minutes since they were scheduled to meet, and Roo took this time to really look at her senior.