Epilogue

Warning: Long long chapter ahead. 

--------

- Five years later - 

Roo's grandmother always told her that things happened for a reason.

She hadn't believed her, especially when shortly after that, the older woman had passed away and left her alone, grieving and lonely without anywhere to go. 

But when a particular auburn-haired auror walked into her life to make it harder than it already was, Roo had thought that fate was just playing with her at this point. She wondered then, why was she trying to hard to get her senior to like her when another part of her could just drop everything and quit. She could've gone back to Paris, maybe get herself a job as a muggle, somewhere safe from all the magical turmoil that had happened this past year. 

When she told Theseus that she had almost packed her bags just a week after they'd met, she was amused by the perplexed frown that fell across his brow. 

"Because of me?" he asked in confusion, "was I really that bad?" 

"No, it was just one bad thing after another. It wasn't you per se," Roo reassured him with a soft smile, "I'm glad I didn't." 

"We wouldn't have been married, that's for sure," Theseus murmured, pulling her closer into a hug so that he got a whiff of her lilac-scented hair. 

They had been dating for over two years when the said man had finally asked her hand in marriage. Their wedding was a small one, simple and minimal with a tiny group of people they still held dear to their hearts. She still remembered Mrs.Scamander's face blotched with tears as well as the wide boxy smile on Newt's face. Roo thought that she'd never seen the younger Scamander so happy for his brother, and though Theseus had told her countless stories about their distant relationship, she found that Newt had done so much after Leta had passed. Roo was grateful that he hadn't given up on Theseus, for doing so would've been disastrous.

Roo had taken a few weeks off when the twins were born and Mrs. Scamander was more than happy to help her around the house while Theseus continued with his auror duties. But after a few nightly discussions about what she should do, Roo decided that being an auror wouldn't be fair to the kids, considering that both of them combined would only mean long nights and busy schedules. So she decided, much to Theseus's protests, to give in a letter of resignation. It was then that Hawkes surprised her with an application for the International Bureau Department, which had been delighted to welcome another bilingual wizard on their team. 

"A blessing in disguise," Theseus had told her when he'd finally pulled away from hugging her so hard. 

Roo had smiled up at him with a sparkle in her brown eyes. Then, realization dawned upon her before she asked, "Are you getting a new secretary?" 

He shook his head, "No. I think I can handle it on my own now." 

"Good." 

"Why?" He'd teased, fingers tracing the small of her neck as he peered into her face. Roo looked away, cheeks flaming at the prospect of being caught. They had been married for a while now and yet, she still felt like a silly idiot in love every time he caught her feelings on display, "Are you perhaps jealous, Mrs. Scamander?" 

"Oh shut up," Roo playfully smacked his chest, causing a laugh to rumble through his chest as he pulled her into an embrace. 

"Daddy! Adam pinched me again!"