Special

Life went back to normal, or as normal as it could get for the aurors working in the Ministry of Magic. Dumbledore was released with caution after his trial that claimed he'd 'murdered' Grindelwald, which still didn't make any sense considering that the man had killed the most dangerous wizard they've faced in history yet. But nevertheless, Hogwarts was glad to have him back and Hawkes had even taken some time off to visit his old friend. Although, according to Theseus, the bouquet in Hawkes' hands as he'd left the building was definitely not for the headmaster but more for a professor in question. That had caused both of them to giggle like little schoolchildren, before dirty looks were sent their way, forcing them to muffle their laughter as they quickly slipped into their offices. 

It came as no surprise when Theseus's mother decided to invite Roo over for lunch one day, which the latter had decided to break it to her in the most casual way possible -- as she was filing through paperwork.

"Huh?" She almost choked on her coffee, her brain only needing to assimilate the words 'mother' and 'sunday brunch' in one sentence to grasp at what the man was asking of her. 

Theseus gazed at her in amusement, eyebrows quirked up in such a way that had her heart beating like a hummingbird, "My mother wants you to come to our Sunday Brunch--"

"I got that part," she quickly answered, "why?"

He snorted, "so she can meet you." 

"But she's already met me." 

"She wants to meet you even more, then." 

The terror on Roo's face must have been palpable, for tthe senior auror's eyes softened as he took in her expression, "it's just a brunch, Roo. Nothing to be worried about."

"Sure, speak for yourself," Roo muttered, although it was loud enough to reach his ears.

Theseus sighed, got up from his chair and headed over to her desk. He cast a silent spell to close the door of their office, before placing his palms on Roo's desk. He leaned in and the girl lurched back, suddenly aware of the lack of personal space between them.

"My mother loves you," he murmured softly, eyes glinting with genuine warmth, "not because you're my girlfriend and not because she has to. She saw the way you took care of both Newt and I when we wete injured. She's really grateful for that."

Roo's heart filled with warmth at his words. Her eyes lingered upon his, finding the trust she desired in those beautiful pools of blue. Impulsively, her teeth bit down onto her bottom lip.

Theseus reached out to gently brush across her lips, "don't do that. You're making it worse."

She wished she knew what she'd done to be so lucky, to have this man in her life. There were no words that escaped her mouth as she gazed at him in adoration.

He chuckled when he noticed her expression, "what?"

"Nothing. I just--" she shrugged, before offering a smile, "I'm just happy."

"So is that a yes?"

She allowed him to brush a strand of hair away from her face, momentarily closing her eyes to enjoy the feeling of butterflies roaming through her stomach.

"Yes."

-----------

The Scamander family lived a little further north from London in a small cottage far away from curious muggle eyes. The main reason was to accommodate the numerous Hippogriffs that Mrs Scamander had bred for years and still was up to this day even throughout her retirement. As Theseus had told her, Mrs Scamander's utmost fascination for those wondrous creatures had created such a deep bond that there was no possibility of moving her closer to the city to her children. But she was content with that kind of life, had always preferred creatures over human contact. It had been a trait that had been inevitably passed down to Newt, so much so that sometimes Theseus felt like he didn't belong. These were the times when he wished his father was around, for rumour has it that the older Scamander was the spitting image of his father. Nevertheless, Mrs Scamander loved both boys deeply with all her heart, that Theseus was well aware of.