The Christmas Ball

"So...You and Theseus."

Roo almost choked on her coffee. Her eyes swept up to see Tina swirling her tea, a knowing expression on her face and an amused, playful smirk on her face.

She averted her eyes, deciding that staying quiet was better than saying anything at all.

But Tina, being as stubborn as she was, kicked her shin under the table.

"Ow." Roo's eyes narrowed, "what the heck?"

"Talk." The older woman crossed her arms expectantly.

"There's nothing to say, really."

"Surely there must be something. Or was I dreaming when I caught you two holding hands?"

The petite asian blushed, "that's not what it looked like." she said lamely, but it was clear from her face that it was definitely what it looked like.

"So you'd be fine if I told Adam--"

"No!" She yelled. "No." she repeated more firmly and was glad that the boys were sound asleep. They didn't even stir at the noise, all exhausted from yesterday's events.

"We--" Roo took a deep breath, "we talked."

"Uhuh. And?"

"And said some things."

"What things?"

"Just...stuff."

"Okay, mind giving me a little bit more?"

Roo threw her arms up in exasperation, "I don't know. We talked about our relationship, or lack thereof, and what we felt. I think the feelings are there, it's just that, well-- it's just bad timing."

"Roo, if you like him, you like him. There's no such thing as timing."

"Not in your case, maybe." Roo took a sip of her coffee, loved the comfort it gave her, "but I know that he still loves Leta and--"

"I haven't seen him like that," Tina cut her off, "I haven't seen him so happy or relaxed in a long time. Until you."

Roo slumped onto the table with a groan, "please don't say that." She murmured, "please don't get my hopes up."

"I'm just being honest." Tina shrugged before bringing her cup to her lips.

After last night, Roo felt like she was constantly drowning in Theseus's scent. It enveloped her, wrapped her in its soft embrace as she slept. She felt the ghost of his hands at her waist and her skin tingled where he left his touch, as if marking her permanently. It felt surreal, like she was walking in someone else's life. Roo had never been held like that; like she was fragile porcelain in his hands, like she was so precious he was scared to touch her.

They had a quick breakfast -- what was left of the bread and sharing a box of cereal -- before they were on their way to Paris. The voyage didn't take long and it was around mid-afternoon when they stepped into the French Ministry of Magic.

"Now what?" Newt asked with wary eyes darting here and there. The French were, to an extent, intimidating. They always seemed like they'd been raised with so many manners, proper and prim. Even he felt like a gnome whenever he was in their vicinity.

Theseus went up to one of the help desks to ask whether someone named Hawkes had relayed a message to the French. Identifying himself as the senior auror, the wizard at the counter -- her name was Madeleine and she looked like a reincarnation of a pixie itself -- nodded and strutted off to find one of the higher authorities.

"What did she say?" Tina asked.

"She's going to fetch someone that might help us." Theseus shrugged, "whatever that means."