First Date

Roo stood in front of the mirror fingering the hem of her skirt.

Theseus's proposed date had caught her by surprise a few days ago, when she'd been so engrossed in her current task at hand that it took her a few seconds  to realize that she'd already agreed absentmindedly before having thought this through. She'd looked up, suddenly shocked as the man had only chuckled with a subtle grin on his face, stomach suddenly erupting into butterflies at the thought of candle-light dinners and soft jazz playing in the background.

Which was why she was standing here and trying to identify every single flaw she could ever amount to, while her friend was sprawled onto her bed, looking at her with as much amusement as she would give to one of her boyfriend's magical creatures.

"Do you think this is too revealing?" Roo's fingers lingered across the open boat collar of her deep wine red top, her expression looking like she was going to throw up with every passing second.

"For Melin's sake Roo, it's Theseus. You saw him every single day for the past few months," Tina rolled her eyes, "And no, you're perfect already. Why are you so jittery?" 

"I don't know," Roo bit her lip before swivelling around to catch her friend's eye, "I'm not fond of dates." 

"May I remind you that you slept in the same bed as this man?" 

Roo's cheeks blossomed with colour, "That was due to a completely different set of circumstances. This is-- this feels-- so formal."

"I could make you an anti-stress potion if you'd like." 

That did sound tempting. But no, Roo shook her head adamantly, cursing at herself for even thinking that maybe magic could help her overcome this. She couldn't understand either; she'd thought agains the greatest threat to the Wizarding community, had stood her ground against him and had made it out alive. What could be scarier than that?

Apparently, a first date. 

A soft rumbling came from the suitcase on the floor of Tina's bedroom, causing both girls to turn and watch expectantly. A few seconds later, it plopped open and out came a tuft of auburn hair, followed by a face she knew all too well. 

"Was someone talking about an anti-stress potion?" He asked as he heaved himself out, brushing off the dust from his blue coat. His eyes took in Roo's dressed up figure before he cracked a small smile. To anyone else, he might've just looked polite. But the delighted sparkle of excitement in his eyes gave him away.

"You look pretty," he stated, plopping himself down on Tina's desk chair. 

"That's what I've been telling her this past hour," Tina argued, "if you managed to fight Grindelwald, then you can go on one tiny date."

"Tina's right, Roo." Newt agreed.

"Easy for you to say, you two had it easy," Roo's eyes threw daggers at the pair, causing them to exchange sniggers like little children getting entertained by a bullied child. 

"You do know that my brother's already smitten with you, right?" Newt asked as Roo went to check that she had money in her purse. 

Her cheeks burned the colour of red at Newt's statement. Of course she was aware of Theseus's growing affections towards her, especially since she felt like she was sailing on that very same boat. Every single day, Roo felt like she was falling deeper and deeper into these romantic waters and it took her everything not to launch herself at him whenever he walked by her office desk. She wanted to hug him, to feel him against her and for his strong arms to cradle her in his arms so that she'd feel safe and small, fragile. She loved that feeling, especially when Theseus was concerned.