Chapter Eight

I could hardly sleep that night. Despite me knowing that I'd bolted every door and locked every window, a knife on my bed side table,  I couldn't settle.

It was when the sun began to creep through the trees that I decided to get up. Sliding on a pair of leggings and an old jumper, I began to pack my things back into their allocated boxes.

I planned on staying here longer, much longer in fact, but after last night, I couldn't chance it. I got the chills just thinking about it. How close I was to beimg taken away in that car and gone for good.

I cellotaped the final box shut, moving it to the kitchen with the rest of the boxes.

It was a risk to stay here last night, I knew that. A huge part of me suspected that Archer or another part of his dodgy gang would show up and try to kidnap me. But I had no where else to go. I didn't have my weeks salary yet, nor could I spend what little money I had on a hotel because I knew I still needed it for food. I could've maybe stayed in my truck somewhere, but I would've been twice as exposed if they found me.

Hesitantly, I opened the door, the smell of early morning air swirling around me.

I drove in the truck for about ten minutes, traveling on rough tracks into the forest, the bumpy surface jostling me about. The deeper I went into the forrest, the denser the trees clustered together.

I drummed my fingers against the steering wheel to the beat of the country tune, taking another left turn, trying not to think about the monster I knew might be lurking in the shadows.

I rolled to a stop in a small clearing. I jumped out, grabbing my heavy duffle bag from the trunk. I struggled to carry it's weight through the trees, stumbling occasionally.

It was still early, the birds singing in the trees. Dropping the bag in the centre of four trees, I chose this as the spot. It wasn't too difficult to find, nor too indiscreet that someone might stumble upon it.

I rummaged around my pockets, pulling out a set of gloves and putting them on. Unzipping the bag, I pulled out the chains, and began the preparation for the night.

***********

Throwing the empty bag onto the seat beside me, I began to drive back home.

The thought of being by myself tonight made my stomach drop. What if I wasn't ready in time, or broke loose, what would happen then?

"Get a grip Althea." I muttered to myself, pulling up beside the house. I stripped out of my jumper, the sun beating on my back, and began to pack my boxes into the back of the truck.

Shutting the trunk, I leaned against it, my eyes traveling to the tree line on their own accord. Something scattered and moved behind a leaf. I took a step closer, curiosity pulling me in like I was stuck in a strong current.

"Hey!" I nearly jumped out of my skin at the sound of Leah's voice. She was running down the street, her long red hair flowing behind her.

"Oh, hi Leah." I mumbled, taking another look at the bush where the sound had come from. I moved the branch aside, but nothing was behind it.

"What are you looking for?" She asked from behind me.

"I just heard a sound that's all." I turned back round to face her. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh I was just on a run." She gushed airily. I looked down to her attire, not completely sure that I would choose to run in jeans. Each to their own I suppose. "What's with all the boxes?" She changed the subject looking into the boot of my trunk.