Chapter Thirty

The five of us all sat around the table. Jake, Leah, Archer, the Elephant in the room and I.

Archer and Leah had come back in with a few bags, interrupting Jake and I's conversation before I could get anymore out of him. As soon as they stepped back into the kitchen, it was clear they could tell the mood had changed.

"This is so nice!" Leah said trying to break the tension.

"It's more than nice. This is some of the best food we've had in a while. No offence Archer." He smirked down the table. Archer just shook his head at him.

"Like you could do any better" he scoffed scooping rice into his mouth.

"I know I could do better"

"Like that time you blew up my kitchen?" He quirked an eyebrow towards him.

"You say blew up, I say redecorated" Jake corrected, scooping up what was left of his food, and walking over to the sink to toss his plate in. He came up behind Archer and slapped his hands down on his shoulders. "Hurry up big man, we have things to do today."

Archer tensed as soon as Jake touched him. Brushing off his hands, he too got up and put his plate away.

"Wait" I said looking at him confused. "I thought you couldn't leave me?"

"I'll only be gone for an hour at most and Leah will look after you. There's just somethings I have to do." He said planting a kiss on the top my head and going out of the door with Jake before I could as much as open my mouth.

"I don't need babysitting" I grumbled going to the sink to do the dishes.

Leah laughed grabbing a tea towel to help me dry up.

"Must be nice having a mate huh?" Leah sighed longfully looking out of the window. I just nodded, not really knowing the answer I'd give to that question anymore. "I sometimes think I'll never find mine. Sometimes I worry that something might have happened to him and I'll never even get the chance to know who he is."

"I'm sure you will meet him." I glanced over to her smiling. "Look at all the odds of me coming into this town of all places. If Archer can find me, then I'm sure you will find your mate."

"You're right" The distant look left her eyes as she beamed at me. "It's fate" She said rolling her eyes.

We continued to do the dishes, and for once Leah didn't fill the silence with her rambling. She seemed content with the thoughts of her mate. I think I was beginning to understand, the importance a mate holds. The way talked about someone she hadn't;t even met yet, like she could give everything to them. It was something terrifying yet exciting, something stupid yet rewarding, something dangerous in which you could find comfort.

Archer had felt all of that from the very beginning. I thought of how shattering that much have been for him to not been approached back with the same absolute dedication.

"Where did they go?" I asked my mind thinking of him.

"Just to deal with the neighbouring Alpha I suppose."

"But I thought Archer was the Alpha?" I asked drying my hands.

"There are other Alphas. They run their own packs. Anyway," She said walking over to the the pile of bags on the floor. "I brought you your clothes and some of your things from your house. I brought you some new ones as well, as what you had wasn't very much."

"Thank you." I beamed genuinely rooting through one of the bags to find me beloved favourite sweatshirt, one that had been thoroughly worn in over the years. I threw it on over the top I was already wearing.