Twenty One

Turning over and opening my eyes, I looked around to find myself lying on the couch in Archer's office. Immediately my eyes found Archer, sat behind his desk, who was already looking at me.

"Did you sleep better little mate?" He said, standing from his chair and walking over to me. I nodded, pushing myself further back into the couch as he got closer.

There was something both scary and attractive about his huge frame. The muscles that stretched the limits of his shirt scared the shit out of me, but somehow I couldn't take my eyes away from them.

Part of me wanted to be snuggled in those arms, pressed tightly against his chest.

I blushed hard remembering last nights events. I was such a mess, barely able to breathe I was crying so hard, I clung to Archer like he was life support. It was embarrassing how wasn't able to pull myself together in front of him.

I snapped out of whatever idiotic, dreamy trance I was in as he squatted down in front of me. His rich hazel eyes levelled with my own, an adoring smile playing on his lips.

"How do you feel" Archer asked, reaching over and tucking and a stray piece of har behind my ears. Instantly, I recoiled, my heart pounding as his fingers brushed the side of my face. The once playful smile had quickly been switched with a deep set frown.

That was how Archer seemed to work. He was happy go lucky, pretending that we were some regular couple, and then would get shocked when I didn't play along. It was like he didn't know how to handle it. As if was expecting me just to go along with this whole "mate" charade and just be fine with it.

"We need to talk." He stated, the warmness well and truly gone. I hated the way he would always look at me so intensely. It was as though he was trying to constantly figure me out. Like I was some kind of puzzle that he would get a prize for solving.

"What about?" I asked warily, carefully shuffling my knees so that they weren't so close to him.

"About everything." He wrapped his hands around both of my knees and pulled me so that I was closer to him than I was to start with.

"I don't think we do." I said trying to wriggle further away.

"Last night you were-" He started trying to hold my gaze, but I kept looking anywhere but him.

"Last night was nothing." I shot in and cut him off.

"You were screaming." Sadness pooled in his eyes as he looked at me, making me look away again. I didn't want to see his pity. "My wolf could sense how scared you were. Did something happen?"

"It was just a nightmare" I grunted trying to push him away so I could get off the couch and this conversation would finally be over.

"Cameron please." He pleaded, ceasing my movements. "Just stop fighting for a moment and listen to me."

"You want me to listen to you, but you're not listening to me." I retorted, finally managing to release my legs from his hold.

"Okay I'm listening." He brought his hands back, setting them in his lap as his sat and crossed his legs.

"I need to go home." His demeanour instantly changed, his eyes flickering yellow. I shrank back quickly as he began growling and his nose began to flare. The soft and caring Archer had disappeared with a few words. It was if he a switch, and I kept knocking it unintentionally.

"You can't. You have to stay with me." His voice had changed, a feral undertone lying beneath it.

His shoulders were rising with heavy breaths. He growled in frustration, running his hands through his haie roughly. "Why?" Is all he managed to grunt out finally.