Chapter Seven

Coming home to an empty apartment was still very weird to Evie. Of course she has been alone a lot when she was still living with her parents but knowing that nobody lives in this place and uses the towels, dishes or the couch but her is just a scary thought. Everything is always the way Evie leaves it. Nobody messes up her pillows or uses another cup, it's all hers. There is nobody you could greet, nobody waiting for your arrival. Evie set her bag down and immediately changed into her comfy clothes. She loves her apartment because it's all hers and it's the way she likes it, but it still makes her feel so lonely here. Not even the countless pictures of her friends she hung up all over the walls send her comfort, even though they remind her that she is in fact not alone. She has the most amazing group of friends, they are just a few miles away.

She decided to call her parents while making herself a tea. Her mom's voice kind of soothed her sadness but at the end of their call tears were streaming down her cheeks. She couldn't stop them from falling and her mom's pleads for her to stop and look at the bright side of things didn't help either. There is just an empty feeling inside of her, it is unexplainable. After hanging up the call she laid on her bed cuddling a pillow close to her chest trying to make the feeling go away. But it was useless. She was craving a hug more than ever.

Since she was still tired from working eight hours she fell in and out of sleep still crying. She dreamed of Tom and being in his arms. Craving to feel them wrapped around her small body again. Hugging him made her feel safe for the first time since her big move. She wasn't even sure whether she wanted to be with him because of her attraction towards him or just because he makes her feel like she actually belongs here. But that did not matter right now because thinking about him and cuddling him made her happier and forget her feeling of emptiness a little bit. Distraction is key whenever you are sad and are not able to influence your own feelings.

Moving here was the right thing to do. It is definitely mending the relationship between her and her parents. Because she can really miss them and feel how much she needs them in her life.

In time she is sure she will be happier here. The new workplace is amazing and Elizabeth is so nice to her. It will get better but she needs time.

Evie woke up again with a horrible headache from crying. "God Evie pull yourself together. You are crying for no reason. You are safe and happy here. Every beginning and clean cut is hard.", she said to herself in the mirror, while washing her tear streaked face, trying to mend her headache. Drinking her tea she made her way towards the big skyscraper. Today was kinda not her day.

Her head was still aching from crying and her eyes were still a bit red and puffy. She looked sad and she still felt sad. Not because she didn't like it here but because there was this feeling of loneliness eating her up. But since Evie knows she has to be professional she tried to fake her smile as best as possible and ignore her throbbing head while working. It's no wonder people tend to compliment her for being so responsible and mature, when she has the ability to pull herself together on the outside like that. Still on the inside she is as sad as ever.

Not even her new friend Elizabeth noticed any strange behavior or look on the small girl, although she commented on her tired eyes. "You know what helps with that? Lukewarm tea bags. I know, sounds weird but is actually so soothing for swollen, dry eyes. You should try it next time.", she said with an encouraging smile, not bothering to ask if her puffy eyes have different reasons than just lack of sleep.

Nobody seemed to notice, until she entered the elevator to get to the post office, where she met Tom. He took in her appearance immediately noticing that she looks as polished and put together as ever, still there was something different. He only realized what it was when she greeted him with a fake smile and extra happy-sounding voice. It's her eyes that make her look so different. Instead of the lively glint, that's always so prominent on her brown eyes making them look extra innocent and making them shine, her eyes looked puffy and dull, like she's been crying.

"Are you okay, love?", he asked in a tone as gentle as possible. Trying to make her forget he's her boss for a second making her open up. But Evie couldn't forget this time. "Yes sir thank you for asking. Are you well too?", her obviously fake tone was nearly painful for him to listen to. But he understood that she did not want to talk about it. That's her choice.

"I am good. Are we having lunch today or do you want to have some alone time?", he tried again secretly wishing she did not want to be alone. He was enjoying their little lunch dates and he even prepared a lunchbox of fresh fruits to snack on for the both of them. Clearly he was way too excited, but he did not want to admit that yet.

"No we can meet if that's not bothering you. I brought croissants!", Evie said sounding genuine for the first time this day. This is when the elevator arrived and Tom had to get out. "I'll pick you up at your desk, if that's alright with you." And with that he was gone.

Evie felt like talking to him was the only thing on this day so far that made her forget her sadness and loneliness. She wasn't sure of what it was about him that made all of her worries and fears go away so unnoticed but she was sure of one thing. She desperately wanted to spend as much time as possible with him, because he made her feel secure.