Chapter Seventeen

Jake kept his promise and arrived at Evie's apartment right after she came home from work on Fridays. "How is my most favorite girl?", he asked pulling her in for a hug. "Jake, I missed you sooo much!", she screeched excitedly breathing in his familiar scent. That was his thing, using way too much cologne so that you'd still smell him after he left your room.

"Let's go eat somewhere, you live in the city now, the possibilities are endless." And that's what they did. On their way to dinner and during eating Jake did his best to fill her in on all the gossip she's missed the last three months. "But how has it been for you, did you find new friends already?", he asked. "Yes, my co workers are actually really nice. There is one girl, Elizabeth, you wouldn't get along with her though, she is a bit much sometimes.", Evie explained remembering that Jake is very peculiar about people. He likes people but he gets tired of them very quickly. Their friendship works so well because they are not talking or texting everyday. He really likes his space. That is a fact Evie has always accepted. Still he didn't think it was weird that she is always so touchy. Most people would assume she was making a move on him whenever she would hug him for way too long randomly or reach for his hand but he knew that this was just Evie's neediness.  

"Is there a boy?", he asked as they payed and walked around the city to watch the sunset. "You know me.", she giggled. "I do, but I also know that you are usually very touchy around me and you've been very distant this whole evening.", he observed grinning at her flushed cheeks. "It's nothing scandalous. He is actually kinda my boss, but he is my friend now I think.", she tried to explain. "I'd love to meet him.", Jake stated not questioning their relationship anymore. He knew that even if there was anything serious going on Evie wouldn't realize immediately anyways.

"Maybe we can hangout tomorrow, with Liz and Harrison too. I think you'd get along with Harrison he's nice." She texted each of them and invited them to go to the movies, to her surprise they were all free. "I am really glad to have you Jakey.", she said grabbing his hand and smiling up at him making him smile back. "You know I kinda miss you back home.", he admitted grinning at her. "Well maybe I'll be back someday." "You'd break my heart if you didn't."

"But do you have a girl back home?", she asked him on the way back to her apartment. "Actually yes, remember Laurel from school?" "I think I had biology with her." "Well we've been hanging out a lot lately. You know I don't really do relationships but she's really cool. I think I like her.", he said smiling. "I can tell. I am happy for you, she's great."

----

"Hey guys, this is Jake my best friend from back home.", Evie greeted her new friends hugging Tom maybe a few seconds too long. Jake smiled at the group but kept his eyes on Tom. He was wearing some black skinny jeans and a black shirt that hugged his figure nicely and showed off his abs. "I already bought the tickets online so we wouldn't have to wait.", Harrison mentioned and directed them all to the right room.

Evie took a seat between Tom and Jake munching on her sweet popcorn. Since the commercials haven't even started the group was still talking to get to know a little more about Jake. Tom was a bit more quiet than usual until Evie whispered to him. "Are you alright?", she held out her hand full of popcorn to him which he gladly accepted. "Yes, you too? You're a bit quiet.", he mentioned. "Just tired I guess, we've been up all night catching up.", she admitted.

Jake eyed the two whispering to each other with a grin. Harrison and Liz caught him looking and winked at the him, making him understand that these two have also caught on to the connection the pair had. Jake was satisfied with Tom so far. In his eyes he was capable of keeping an eye out for Evie and he was nice to her, that's the main things he was worried about.

The movie started making their conversations die down and concentrate on the big screen. Since it was an action movie it was no surprise that soon the people were starting to shoot and fight each other making the tired Evie, who found it already hard to keep her eyes open flinch in her seat. Both Jake and Tom moved to comfort her but as Jake saw that she immediately covered to hide her face in Tom's neck he smiled and pulled his hand back that was resting on her thigh. Tom put his arm around her in a way she was shielded from the images and loud noises. He started whispering comforting words to her making her calm down immediately. She wasn't scared of the movie, the sudden loud banging just surprised her tired mind. Now in Tom's embrace she felt safe again and his words made a warm feeling spread inside her chest. It didn't take long for her heavy eyes to finally close and drift off into a deep sleep catching up on the hours she missed during the night talking to Jake. Tom mindlessly started to stroke her hair going back to concentrate on the movie, trying to ignore the sparks in his stomach the girl resting on his shoulder was causing.

When the movie was over they all left, since there was no way to wake Evie up softly right now Tom just decided to carry her like a child to his car. She had her arms around his neck and he held her legs up on either side of him. Evie was a tight sleeper sometimes. They decided to cook together at Tom's place. Since Harrison came with his car him and Liz would be meeting them there.

"You can be honest with me Tom, you like her don't you?", Jake asked him quietly as Tom pulled out of the parking lot. "Evie?", he asked with slightly flushed cheeks. "I honestly don't know, I don't do relationships.", he admitted. "Me neither. It's what she deserves though. I am glad she has you, you'll keep an eye out for her as long as she is here. She requires a lot of attention you know." "I'd always protect her if you mean that. I just don't know if I can give her a relationship.", Tom said honestly. "She's not looking for a relationship Tom. She's the most oblivious person out there and very inexperienced. I want you to know that and not take advantage of that." "Like you did?", Tom answered a bit too harshly. "It didn't mean anything, we were both clear on that." "Maybe you shouldn't have done it then."

With that their conversation was over. Tom didn't even realize this was pissing him off so much. Maybe it was just his possessive side showing again. Both of the boys were very protective when it came to Evie, knowing how dependent she can be sometimes, which it's totally fine to need someone form time to time. Tom wanted to be that person for her.

Once they arrived Tom carried Evie up to his bedroom and tucked her into the white sheets, lingering a bit longer to play with her long hair. Jake appeared in the doorframe watching him with a grin. "You can't tell me you don't like her anymore. I'm sorry I kissed your girl, it was stupid of me." Tom's eyes never left her sleeping form. "She's not mine." "Yet.", Jake grinned and left him alone with sleeping Evie again, his thoughts all over the place. Was Jake right?

Did he actually like Evie like that? He's never had feelings for a girl before so he doesn't really know what that is supposed to feel like. He does like having her around and he wished she'd never leave his apartment. He's also getting those tingles all over his body whenever they touch and there's never been a girl he wanted to cuddle with as much as he did with Evie. He wants to protect her and keep her to himself if he could.

Maybe that's what it feels like to like someone. But even if he did would Evie want to be with him?