Chapter Forty Three

Tom and his dad entered last. Tom searched Evie's eyes to try and find out whether she was still feeling okay. She just gave him a reassuring smile and walked up to Dom. "Nice to meet you sir. I am Evie.", she said politely with a stretched out hand. Dom shook it introducing himself to her. Evie was actually a lot more anxious about meeting Dom because Tom admitted he was pretty cold on the outside but the nicest man on the inside. Kinda like Tom towards his other employees. Luckily for Evie, she never had to experience Tom being cold towards her (apart from the time they weren't talking) but if it felt anything like that time with Dom, she did not want to be on the receiving end. Tom guided her to sit next to him, across from Harry, so that she felt a little safer.

"So I heard you met at work?", Dom asked gaining Evie's attention. "Yes, I started working there this year because I've just finished school. He introduced himself to me at the very beginning and then we started having lunch together, which is how we became friends.", Evie explained reminiscing of their beginnings. Dom didn't say anything, which made Evie stop talking and her uneasy feelings to reappear. Tom noticed her change of mood immediately and secretly placed his hand above her knee. "It was actually me, who started bothering you during lunch.", he admitted, hoping to lighten the mood. "Since when did you start focusing on the workers instead on your work?", Dom suddenly snapped making everyone stop eating. Evie felt like going home. "Excuse me, dad?", Tom asked, clenching his jaw. "Our relationship is not inappropriate in any way and it has nothing to do with our work. Don't worry I am still focused on the company.", he added looking at his dad with a hard glare. He knew his dad was just worried about Tom's career and success but having Evie in his life was better than any contract he could have signed. How his father didn't see that was unexplainable to him. "Please don't fight boys. We are really happy you two are together, aren't we Dom?", Tom's mum interfered sending her husband a warning glare, who just nodded.

After that, the tension never really left the dinner table, even though Tom's brothers tried to lighten the mood by talking about their classmates. When Evie helped clean the dishes Nicola pulled her aside. "Darling I hope you don't take any of this to your heart. I see the way Tom looks at you and how much he has changed for the better since you've entered his life. You switched his focus to the really important things in life. I am really grateful he found you.", she said hugging the girl close to her chest. "My husband is a very business-oriented man. It took me ages to make him warum up to his feelings for me. He just wants Tom to be as successful as possible, but that is not important. You are important and Tom knows that."

"Thank you so much. I am happy I got to meet you today.", Evie said smiling at her genuinely. "Just wait, next time you are around Dom will have warmed up to you.", Nicola assured.

"Evie, let's head home.", Tom said popping his head into the kitchen. "But you just came!", Nicola protested. "I want her for myself now, it's been a long day.", Tom reasoned making butterflies arise in Evie's stomach. "Thank you so much for dinner!", she said, saying goodbye to Nicola, as well as the boys. Dominic just gave her a quick nod. Tom was already out the door when Evie sent him a quick glare because he didn't say goodbye to his father. Tom shook his head at his girlfriend, turned around and hugged his dad goodbye. "See you soon!", Nicola said before closing the door.

Tom took her hand into his and lead her towards his sleek car. „I am so sorry about my dad. What he said wasn't directed towards you at all.", Tom stressed, looking at her with worry filled eyes. „It's fine. Don't worry at all. I get it he wants what's best for you. Please don't stress yourself about this.", she reassured wanting him to know she was okay. Of course it hurt Evie that she wasn't accepted with open arms by a person, who is so important in Tom's life, but she was sure he will come around.

„You did so well though. I am so incredibly proud of you. Today has really been a long day.", he said placing his hand on her thigh. Evie started playing with his fingers, agreeing that this day really has been tiring but she was also really happy. From now on they won't be watched by suspicious eyes in the office anymore. Meeting Tom's mum was really good too, she really is the loveliest lady.