Chapter Twenty Six

The week flew by faster than ever. In the mornings both of them were busy at work and in the afternoon they were building up furniture or packing up Evie's things. Today was Saturday and her parents would be coming today. Evie was already packing up the last box as the doorbell rang.

She opened the door and greeted their parents with tight hugs, even though they weren't always the easiest to be around she missed them dearly. "Honey I am so glad to be here! Traffic was awful", her mother instantly complained getting in. Evie hugged her dad, feeling happy being in his arms again. It's been too long.

"Let's get this over with okay.", he just said grabbing the first box carrying it to the car. He's never been big on words. It took only half an hour for the three to get all the boxes down to the car and drive back to Tom's place. Her parents where impressed by the modern apartment complex, their fascination only growing once they stepped in and saw the marble tiles at the entrance.

"Evie. Wait before we get in we should talk. So who is this boy you will be living it?", her mother stopped her. They decided to sat down in one of the chairs standing around at the entrance. "Tom is working in my company, he is responsible for my department actually. Over time we grew to be a group of friends with another co-worker of mine and one of his friends. We get along very well and he doesn't like living alone so he just asked me to move in."

"But how will you pay for this? This looks way too expensive.", her dad reminded her still unsure. "We have an agreement, don't you worry.", she smiled not wanting to tell the truth knowing her parents would never let that happen. She realized that her parents didn't like her living alone with a boy but she hoped meeting Tom today would ease their worries.

"But is he your boyfriend or not?", her mum asked again. "No it's not like that mum.", Evie rolled her eyes getting up again. "Let's start working."

They carried up the boxes into Tom's apartment, her parents taking their time admiring every centimeter of their daughter's new apartment. To say they were impressed was an understatement. They were nearing to an end as the door opened and Tom stepped in. He had to deal with something at the office even though it was a Saturday, which is why Evie talked him out of helping and just go to work for a couple of hours.

"Evie are you there?", he called out while stepping out of his shoes. Evie hurried to greet him and hugged him tightly. "We are nearly done bringing everything up and then we can unpack.", she smiled excitedly making him smile back at her. Her parents walked into the room interrupting them. "This is Tom.", Evie said turning around and grinned at them. Tom stretched out his hand greeting firstly her mum and then her dad with a genuine smile. "It's really nice to meet you Mrs. and Mr. Jones. Thank you so much for helping with the move. I am sorry for being gone this morning I had an emergency at the office." It didn't take much for her mum to be absolutely swooned by Tom. She loved him.

"Let me get the last few boxes.", Tom said turning around and left followed by her dad. "Honey he is handsome!", she gushed nudging her daughter making Evie giggle.

"Let's go unpack."

It took the four until sunset to finish unpacking. As they were nearly done Tom excused himself to prepare dinner for all of them, Evie's mum joining him shortly after. "Will you be okay living with him Evangeline?", her dad asked quietly. "Of course! I will be very happy here I think. Do you not like him?", she asked worriedly.

"No that's not it. I think he'll watch out for you and I like that. I just don't ever want you to feel uncomfortable."

"Tom wouldn't do anything to harm me daddy.", she hugged him thankful he was looking out for her but wanting to reassure him. She'll be absolutely fine with Tom. Much better than being on her own.

They walked into the living room where Tom was already setting the table. Evie helped him trying to ignore her mum's obvious winks at her. "And he cooks too! He's amazing.", she whispered still gushing about him making her laugh. "I know he is perfect.", she grinned placing down the glas she was holding. And Evie realised she wasn't lying, Tom indeed was perfect. She allowed herself to stop setting the table for a second to admire him making her mother laugh. Her parents like him, that's good for a start.

Dinner was filled with her mum's questions about Tom's family life, career path and relationship status. He denied having a girlfriend and even though Evie already knew that she felt her heart grow lighter as she heard those words.

After her parents left to drive back home she walked into her new bedroom, admiring the way all her things fit perfectly into the new place, making them look way more fancy than before because of Tom's furniture. It turned out to look perfect together and she already really felt at home.
Tom came into her room as she was doing finishing touches, which where hanging up pictures of her and her friends from back home.

"It looks really pretty.", Tom complimented her helping to straighten a picture frame. "Thank you so much for helping and for letting me live her. I love it already.", she thanked again still not able to process the fact that she was really going to live here now. She won't ever go back to her apartment again.

"I love having you as my roommate already too.", he grinned at her making her squeal in excitement. "This will be so much fun I promise. But I want to set up a ground rule, that you are not ever allowed to break. If there is anything that bothers you, you tell me immediately okay?", she asked getting serious again. Tom grinned at her adorableness and held up his pinky finger intertwining it with her already stretched out one. "I promise you to always tell you if you promise to do the same."
"Deal, Mr. Holland."