31 - the one with her birthday

Taara looked forward to evenings like she did before. Her wounds had gotten better. The doctor said the next day the plaster would be gone. Aayush did visit her every evening after the day they had lunch together. She had started to walk around on her own. At times, she experienced pain but slowly she was becoming better. As she combed her hair she looked at her cheek. The new red dress that she wore did nothing to make her look beautiful thanks to her ruined right cheek. A pale maroon colored scar had formed on her cheek now. It itched a lot. However, Taara had got used to ignoring it. She wore her earrings unable to smile. If only the accident hadn't happened she'd be looking stunning on her twenty sixth birthday. 

"Ready Taara?" She heard her mom and looked at the mirror seeing her enter her room. She sighed and turned around trying to put up a smile. Her mother walked up to her. "You look lovely sweetie!" Her mother spoke kissing her head. Taara bit her lower lip not wanting to cry. She felt her mother cup her cheeks and make her look up. Taara blinked unable to meet her eyes. "Stop being so hard on yourself, Taara. You really look pretty. Your cheek is healing, and in no time it will be chubby as before." Taara hugged her mother as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Taara, Aayush maybe here any minute, do you want him to see you all messed up and crying on your birthday?"

Taara pulled back nodding in a no and smiling. Her mother's demeanor towards Aayush had changed. Although in front of him she always kept a cold air, Taara knew well that she liked him. The past week had seen many changes but for Taara it was all the same. Being enclosed in the same room was tiring her. However, she had binged watched so many shows that she had missed on. She had also had a fair share of binge reading. 

They heard the bell. Taara smiled at her mother who hurried out of her room. She sighed taking a tissue and wiping the tears of her face. Her nervousness grew as minutes passed. He entered the room dressed in a deep blue three piece suit. One elegant paper bag and a bouquet of flowers in his hand. Oh gosh, those flowers were so pretty. They were roses—white, red and orange ones. She smiled as their gazes met. Taara had forgotten that her mom was in the audience. 

Aayush walked up to where she sat and handed her the bouquet wishing her, "Happy Birthday." She smiled thanking him, as she took the flowers her hand brushed his. Their gazes didn't waver but became more intent. "Here's your gift." He grinned extending the cover. She took it curiously. "Books!" She exclaimed.

"You said you'd read all the good ones you had. Thought you'd be happy to have some more." He smiled. She smiled at his thoughtfulness. 

"Thank you." She whispered and Aayush nodded briefly glancing at her mother. 

"Let's cut the cake then?" Her mother looked at Aayush and then at her.

Taara nodded her face expressing discomfort. "Ahh, mumma, can we go down. I am tired of this room." Aayush looked at her then at her mother who exchanged a slightly worried look with him. 

"But how will you manage the stairs. You can barely walk around." Her mother reasoned.

"I will manage. Please." Taara pleaded.

Her mother nodded. "Okay give me a few minutes I will prep up the living hall and then the birthday girl can make her appearance." Her mother smiled.