5. Making Plans

Draupadi sat on her bed still as if lifeless. Her maids had cleaned, refreshed and fed her but her eyes appeared dull.

"Maharani"

She turned up to see her maid standing near her bed. She smiled dryly.

"Why are you calling me maharani? I don't think I am that anymore"

"Because... because you will be queen soon so..."

"Never mind. What brought you here?"

"Angraj Karn requests your permission to enter"

"Bring him in"

She walked to the couch and settled herself there to wait for Karna. He didn't take very long and was soon greeting her before setting on the couch forth her.

"Draupadi I know this..." he began unsure of how to continue.

"Angraj Karn what have you planned?" she asked.

"I have tried to fix our marriage at the earliest. We get married after two days and proceed to Anga the next day. It is best to take you away from Hastinapur as fast as possible."

"I am good with your plans" she said softly. All these changes were too much for her to handle. She was just going with the flow.

"And also we will spend the night of our wedding day at my childhood home where my mother will ceremonially welcome you. You are after all the first bride of my family."

He paused and looked at her tentatively.

"Yes Angraj Karn I will. That would be the most appropriate thing to do."

He did not reply but kept looking at her trying to decipher her. There was a rawness about her current state. Her long tresses hung around her like a veil and with the minimal jewellery she wore he could get to see her natural beauty better. She still retained that captivating beauty but what worried him was the vulnerability that possessed her features. It was most unusual and slightly frightening for him.

"Draupadi why haven't- I have spoken to the palace elders and my parents about it and sent a messenger to your family. Is that okay?"

"It is okay. I want to see my father again"

He pressed his lips curtly.

"Panchali I have only sent word about this new development but I did not invite your family. It is going to be a highly private affair."

"What? But how could you do this? How can you not invite my own parents and siblings?"

"How could you think that I will let your family come to your wedding which I want to be done as fast as I can. Your father is a former ally of the Pandavas and there is no way I can let him come to Hastinapur at such a precarious time. The wedding will only be attended by a few palace elders and my parents. Please make that clear to yourself"

The anger that had flared in her eyes a few moments made way for fear and quiet resignation. He immediately regretted being harsh on her even slightly when she was in such a fragile state.

"Draupadi I promise you that your father will visit you soon in Anga. Moreover it wouldn't have been possible for him to come after the messenger reaches him."

She nodded. Yes what he said was very reasonable.

"I will take my leave now Draupadi" and with that he left.