46. Draupadi Decides to Act

She tried sitting royally straight as much as possible. It was a constant struggle with the added weight of her attire and jewels pulling her down. She had been the subject of many curious glances from the noblemen and commoners alike for her 'new bedazzling' look.

Karna had given her a satisfied look before they had entered the rajsabha (royal court/ assembly) and then directed a haughty look mingled with a subtle smirk at her father. She could see her father was not too pleased- whether for her appearance or for Karna's attitude- she could not understand. Only she thought she felt her brother's sympathetic gaze on her for a while before he too put on an expressionless mask on his face.

Now, sitting beside her husband on the throne, she waited impatiently for the court session to wrap up for the day. Usually she liked it, hearing the people presenting their grievances, or some minister putting out a petition, representatives of different professional groups bringing up their issues and demands each trying to outdo the other in convincing the king and much more. But today it was all about the ministers of Panchal and Anga debating and discuss much talked upon topics of the economies, battlefield preparedness and other such aspects of the two kingdoms. It was a mere boring formality.

Usually she would whisper now then into her husband's ears, suggestions and advices, but today she kept quiet and the assembly stretched on with one of Drupad's ministers ostensibly displaying the gifts that had arrived from Panchal.

And time elapsed. She felt her husband shift slightly before he raised a hand. Then the trumpets sounded and the assembled started dispersing. She heaved a sigh of relief. The long and monotonous assembly was finally over.

And then she inhaled sharply, anxiety permeating through her body. Karna had already walked down from the throne and was being joined by his high ministers of state and her father and brother, and some other Panchal nobility. She stood up. She had to act now.

"Mahamantri Harishji have you prepared a draft of the points we are going to negotiate?" karna whispered to his prime minster, while giving an acknowledging nod to Drupad approaching them.

"Yes Maharaj I have" Harishji replied softly "But ... but we have to try to remain within the points and not—"

He stopped midway, Maharaj Drupad was now in ear shot. Karna nodded at his Mahamanrtri in understanding. Karna knew what he was trying to convey, this negotiation between the possible cordial relationships between the two kingdoms, which they were going to discuss now, had high chances to turn into a family quarrel with no fruitful outcomes.

Karna was about to step ahead when he found a soft, slim arm being inconspicuously slipped into his own. The others around him startled slightly but didn't seem too surprised but instead giving respectful smiles and nods, well all except two.

Karna gave Draupadi's fingers a questioning squeeze as she stood beside him smiling gracefully, trying to control her panting. What was she doing, he thought, hadn't he told her not to get involved in this?

"Pitashri, Bhratashri" she began "Mahamantri, Senapati. It is an exciting prospect that our two prosperous kingdoms are getting this opportunity to tie themselves with other to further their interests and scopes."

Karna had no option but to look on at her pleasantly agreeing to her confidant, self assured speech. Draupadi gave him a faintly guilty smile and they walked to the high counsel chamber. She still held his hand partly because she had the irrational fear that he might find some excuse to send her away and mostly because she needed the support to reach their destination without stumbling on her face with the important dignitaries as witnesses.

Karna had told her to stay out of this and she was also aware that he meant well but he and her father had dragged her in the middle of their ego clashes. But, she was not going to allow that, if she was going to be dragged into this mess, she was going to take her own stance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Maharaj Drupad, I would request you, as our honoured guest, to start the discussion" Karna began taking charge, once they were all seated comfortably, "Please present your views."

Everyone's gaze turned to the middle aged King, slowly entering into his advancing ages. Draupadi watched her father start with his speech, anxiously praying for all misunderstandings to be washed away to usher in a new, happier beginning.

--------------------------