17. Initiatives

"And I am not as arrogant as you to deny that" he whispered but in the silence and tension of the chamber and their close proximity the words sounded like thunderclaps.

"Why aren't you saying anything Yagnaseni?" he continued pulling her closer to him.

She turned her face away from him. She could feel her cheeks starting to burn. In all her life she had never been left tongue tied until now. She tried desperately to form a sharp, witty retort but it seemed as if- oh god she could almost feel his breathe on her shoulder- or was it the wind- her mind was a total whirlwind.

"Stop staring at the door Yagnaseni. Nobody is going to disturb us all of a sudden. It is a vain hope you are holding on to."

She cursed herself for looking towards the door. Couldn't she look anywhere else. Gathering all the rage she could, she glared at him.

Karna gazed steadily into her fiery kajal lined eyes bright with anger. A subtle smile played on his lips. Already she had started faltering slightly in holding on to her glare.

"Yagnaseni you may calm down now" he spoke quietly.

"I admit I was in the fault" she finally said letting out a deep sigh, breaking away eye contact with him.

"You admitted that when you accused me of not being blameless either" he said taking her other hand in his too "Now Panchali you insisted on us having this conversation, have we fulfilled its purpose in the manner you desired it?"

"No" she muttered "Not completely at least"

"Oh then would you tell me what exactly was your purpose so that I may also make the effort."

She looked up at him at that suspecting him of sarcasm but could only find a strange serenity in his features as though a huge burden had been lifted off his shoulders.

"Um... yes... well I wanted us to negate our differences and our past to make a fresh start but..."

"But we only came as far as venting isn't it?"

She nodded. She looked down. Her eyes lingered on his hands wrapped around her wrists. She wondered how such a strong warrior could have such smooth and beautiful hands.

"But Panchali we could go beyond this by taking tiny initiatives like..."

She noticed an uncertainty pass through him.

"Like what Angraj?"

"Like you start using that endearment for me which only you are allowed."

She stared at his handsome face now possessed by a heavenly smile. She would have continued doing so had he not lifted her hands slightly making her bangles clank against each other.

"Aarya" she let out softly.