26. Mother's Healing Touch

"You have arranged your home so beautifully" Radha said appreciatively looking around.

Draupadi smiled happily. After dinner, Karna had asked her to give his mother a tour of the palace. She had obliged more than willingly. It seemed as if God had brought her to Anga today only for her. Radha ma had been simply showering her with unadulterated love ever since she came and this was precisely what she needed today.

"And Mata, this is where I meet citizens and delegates and such others" she said excitedly showing her a grand lavish room.

Radha looked on in awe. She turned to face her daughter-in-law in admiration.

"Putri, what can I say?" she began, her voice containing a tinge of deference, unsettling Draupadi a little, "You are a princess, a queen. I am a simple woman, a devoted wife and a mother who knows only how to love and support her children. And I am so proud of you Putri."

"No, Mata" she said, shaking her head "You are my mother and I am your daughter. Your position is much above me and so are your rights."

Radha placed her hand on Draupadi's cheek lovingly. How could this be the proud and haughty princess of Panchal her son had described to her? No, her son was wrong.

"Yes you are my Putri" Radha smiled at her "Then will you tell me something?"

"Yes, Mata. Anything."

"Why is your hair slightly unsettled. I noticed that since I came here."

"Oh...I didn't..." Draupadi fumbled for words, at the unexpected question from Radha ma. How could she possibly relate to her the day's happenings?

"Putri Draupadi, it is not anything very serious, is it?" she asked concerned.

"No...no Mata... we can sort it out?" she replied softly looking away.

Radha nodded still unsatisfied.

"Putri, half burned coal is dangerous. When it is not cooled, it still has the capacity to sting and burn, and even when it is completely cooled, it still presents a risk. My son's anger is similar to this. Oh, how many times I have had to deal with it. If you want to touch upon it immediately, it may scar you both, nor can you let it cool down unresolved- that is destructive to all relationships particularly marital ones. But you have to figure out the right time."

Draupadi was listening intently. Oh, how could she not notice this in Karna. Her anger would manifest fierce outburst- one flash and then gone, but her husband's anger was more icy, long drawn out. Yet both were equally stubborn and fiery.

"We will resolve our conflicts Mata. Don't worry" she said smiling graciously.

Radha drew her to a tender hug. Draupadi was both surprised but touched. They were standing in the middle of a corridor. Such a thing would have been unthinkable with Kunti or Gandhari.

Draupadi hugged back with equal affection. A mother's love was something she had been bereft of but now that void was slowly getting filled.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Draupadi stepped inside her husband's chambers quietly. Karna was standing near a window, the silver moonlight flooding the room everywhere.

"Thank you Draupadi" he said suddenly.

"For what Aarya?" she asked confused, how did he sense her presence? She had taken care to remove most of her jewellery. Except her earrings, single bangles, kamarbandh(a kind of waistband) and her churamani( a head accessory like a tiara sported by married women, particularly Ksatriyas, symbolising her love and devotion to her husband), there was no other trace of gold on her.

"For taking such good care of my parents" he answered, his back still turned to her.

"Please don't thank me. It was my duty and I am really happy they have come to visit us" she replied simply.

"Draupadi why have you come here?"

She felt hurt. Just today, in the morning, he had teased her by asking if she did not enjoy coming here drawing blushes from her and now he was not even facing her.

"I came to speak to you, Aarya" she began "About today's happenings."

Silence was the only response she was recipient of.

"Aarya, I had no idea that Rajkumar Arjun would come. I don't know how the two girls knew him." she continued softly "I met them only yesterday. I thought they were talking about a friend of theirs. I had no intention to hurt you. It was a misunderstanding."

No response.

"Aarya, you cannot ignore me. Why are you doing this?"

Karna finally turned to face her. He was bare of all his jewellery. Throwing his angvastra(upper garment) over his shoulder, he took a few steps towards her. His expression was cold and his lips were drawn into a thin, mirthless smile.

"You went on defending your guiltlessness in pragmatic, rational terms but did not for once express what I meant to you that you would never do it" he said softly in a tone drenched in anger "Draupadi, you are indeed caged here."

She stared at him, wide- eyed and distraught. This was not going to be easy.