51. Answering Responses

Karna was startled and panicked as he walked out, supporting his wife leaning against him. Her face was drained of colour. Some daasis (female servants) had stepped forward to help but he did not even bother acknowledging them and kept walking, his fingers clasped against her right wrist. Her pulse was low.

He paused for a while deliberating whether to leave her in her own chamber or take her to his own. He turned to her. She looked shocked, and he decided on the latter option.

"Panchali" he said gently seating her on a couch "Panchali, steady on."

He went to a nearby table and filled out a glass of water.

"Panchali, here drink some water. You will feel better."

She pressed the gold glass to her lips. The cool, clear liquid soothed her lips starting to parch, before spiraling down her burning throat, while Karna continued whispering soft reassurances.

"Thank you Aarya" she said pushing the glass away, "It was all..."

The words choked in her mouth, choosing instead to escape through her almond eyes, the kajal lining them starting to smear, her pink lips twitching in sorrowful motions.

"I am just a revenge mechanism" she gasped out, amidst the stream of tears running down her cheeks, "I...I... am nothing...I..."

Only plaintive sobs from her melodious voice fell on Karna's ear with an excruciating agony as he desperately tried to avert his eyes from the trembling figure of his wife.

"Aarya" she uttered, her eyes fixated on a nearby flower vase with a bunch of fresh yellow marigolds, "Aarya what did I just see."

Karna now turned his full attention to his wife seated like a crumpled heap on his couch. Fresh tears had sprung from those ever fierce and ever regal eyes, those eyes he had neither seen nor allowed to tear up in his presence since he brought her to his home.

He wanted to wipe away those long strings of pearls gliding down from the corner of her eyes to her chin, trailing behind a blackish path on her smooth rosy cheeks, dispersing a little here and there, by the long heavy golden chain holding up her nose ring, while some managed to leave glazing traces till her neck before disappearing completely beneath the heavy pink stone choker.

He fingers were halfway to touching her cheeks when he withdrew them. Instead he stepped closer to her, letting her know of his presence, gesturing to the servants to leave.

"I am just a revenge mechanism" she uttered again mirthlessly, breathing heavily, feeling betrayed and hurt. She looked up at her husband to see his mouth shut in a thin expressionless line but she could see in his eyes, he bore a painful melancholy.

Karna kept his hands locked behind his back in a determined clasp. He was not going to give his wife any assurances or consolations today, but only allow her to conclude and accept the bitter truths and harshness that featured her life... as well as his.

"I am cursed, Panchali"

Karna watched her slowly turn up her bejeweled head, and match his gaze with hers, those deep black orbs of hers were fixed on him, seeking answers of unasked questions.

"I have been cursed by my Guru (teacher) Parshuram that I will forget all my knowledge of warfare and archery when I need them the most...because I lied to him about my caste to get my education."

He waited impatiently for her to react to his revelation. She simply stared, her eyes now unfocused as though racing through a million thoughts before settling on a tiny sad smile.

"We have both been oft rejected and humiliated isn't it?"

For a second, Draupadi thought she saw her husband's sharp facial features schooled by years of bitterness and frustration, soften like the soothing read sun when it sets or rises.

"Panchali" Karna uttered, the only word that his lips could form at the moment.

"Aarya" she replied, sending him a soft smile, "Is that not right?"

Karna did not answer but simply gazed at her. Even in the most crushing of circumstances, her spirit refused to bow down, always buoyant and effervescent. He had seen it before in the dice hall and he saw it now again a few moments back.

Draupadi stood up and clumsily walked towards him under the weight of her outfit, holding anything near her for support. She gently placed a questioning finger on his elbow. Karna startled and then gave a slight nod. He could see her eyes drooping, remaining closed for longer intervals than normal.

"Panchali you rarely say anything without giving it proper thought" he said, smiling affectionately at her, "But now you clearly need to rest, sleep would be preferable lest your thinking capabilities, which are such a tremendous asset to Anga, will not perform at their best. Let me call a daasi (female servant) to divest you of your ornaments?"

"No" she answered, whether out of sudden impulsiveness or fatigued thoughtlessness, she would never know, "No don't call anyone."

"Then, you intend to sleep in them? It okay...I don't know much about women's jewellery—"

"No I don't intend to sleep in these gauds" she replied, chuckling softly, shaking her head in emphasis, "No"

Karna raised a questioning eyebrow at that, his face wearing a baffled expression, which made her laugh all the more.

And then, in an answering response, she placed her wrists in his hands.

--------------------------------------------

Hello everyone

So, I thought all of us including the characters need a little break from the tensions plaguing their lives currently:)

Hope you all enjoyed the chapter. Please share your opinions generously and without any hesitation! It is always a delight going through your comments:) ❤