38. A Long Night- 5

"Horse, not bull" she explained.

Her lips twitched as she desperately tried to suppress her laughter watching the look of utter surprise and incredulity on her husband's face before he burst out laughing.

"I shouldn't have told you about that" he said, smiling pleasantly at her "But I will certainly make sure to 'avenge' that."

"You are too afraid of your tigress to do that" she retorted slyly.

"Your bull is no less, Draupadi" he replied with "He can be unpredictable."

Karna watched his wife smiling shyly, gazing at him with her head lowered. She looked so beautifully vulnerable. An instinctive surge of protectiveness passed through him.

"Panchali, we are both so fierce and I assure you things between us will remain unfazed" he said calmly and firmly "Do not be afraid to speak out ever again, we may fight—"

"But we will always make up and with each fight we come closer, strengthening our relationship" she completed.

Karna nodded, bringing his heavenly smile on his lips enjoying the look of admiration his wife was giving to him. She was sitting with her knees pulled up close to her chest, her hands laden with gold clutching at them. He could only see as much in the dim, golden light of the candles starring the room.

"Panchali, I want to admire you" he said suddenly, as a gasp of astonishment left her mouth, "I know women seldom dress up to impress men, but on those days they do, the fortunate man ought to give them the due attention."

Draupadi laughed at him delightfully. Her husband said the most surprising things at times. She was about to tease him back when she found his strong, smooth hand on hers, pressed to her knees. She gaped at him questioningly as he gently brought down her knees to touch the silk bed sheet.

"This is a better way to fully admire you" Karna answered, watching her now visible chest stringed with spectacular, elegantly designed necklaces, rhythmically falling up and down with her breathing. There were some flowers knit in the back of her hair, hidden behind her ears with long earrings dangling down them.

Her cheeks and neck dusted with gold glowed. The soft tendrils of her hair near her forehead had crimped from the sweat. And again her nose ring partly concealing her rosy lips was the subject of his silent wrath.

"You look beautiful, my dear wife" he said huskily, quickly catching hold of her feet by her ankles and laying them straight on the bed "Ethereally beautiful as always, in anyway"

He was sitting in front of her and the toes of her feet brushed against his legs as he held them flat on the bed. He delicately fingered the anklets she was wearing, the ones he had gifted her.

"Sleep now, Panchali" he said leaning back comfortably against the footboard of the bed, while tenderly stroking her feet "It has been a long night and we need energy for the long day ahead of us."

The soft flickering lights of the perfumed candles assisted the couple as they watched each other silently, until they were extinguished of their capacity to burn further and the eyes of the beautiful pair were shut in deep slumber.

--------------------------

Hello everyone

So that brings us to the end of the chapter series 'A Long Night'. Hope you all enjoyed it.😊

Do let me know what you think of the chapters so far and what you all expect of the upcoming chapters. It is always a delight going through your comments :)❤