23. Checking Moods and Gifts

"Aarya you called for me" she said stepping into his chambers.

A servant had informed her that the king wanted to see her as soon as possible and today being the main day of the Navaratri festival, she had hurried anxiously.

She didn't want anything to go wrong today.

"Yes Panchali" he said looking up from his grand study table surrounded by several piles of papers. Prime Minister Harish of Anga was also present. He stood up on her arrival and folded his hands. She returned the courtesy in a similar manner, smiling graciously before turning to her husband with a serious expression.

"You may leave now Harishji" Karna said rising up and nodding at him before focusing on his wife.

Some minutes passed but there was no word from Karna who only stared at her with an unreadable expression on his face making Draupadi start fidgeting.

"Aarya will you say anything?"

He smirked at her expression.

"I was merely trying to gauge what mood currently possesses you Panchali. After yesterday night..."

Both giggled at that recalling how Karna had almost been left stunned and certainly puzzled at his wife's childish demeanour yesterday. He had not got one concrete sentence from her without it being sprinkled with her silly jokes and giggles. He could only conclude she had had a great day without any substantial word from her about it.

"Aarya did you call me here only to check my mood?"

There was a tinge of impatience in her voice. He smiled slyly.

"Why, do you not like coming here?"

"I...um..." she fumbled for words blushing visibly.

His smile stretched wider. To render the proud and clever princess Panchali speechless was something unheard of in the whole of Aryavart.

"Panchali wanted to show you something" he said gently turning back to the table reluctantly tearing his gaze from her eyes wide in surprise and curiosity.

He passed a golden model of an elephant of about the size of his hands to her to examine. She fingered it excitedly. Could it be?

The intricate detailing and designed with several precious stones and diamonds but most importantly the azure stones cornered with purple and pink was a speciality unique to Panchal craftsmanship. It was the pride of Panchal.

He nodded as his heavenly smile answered her questioning eyes.

"Your father sent them as a gift for Navaratri" he said pointing to three more such models in decreasing size.

"But why didn't he write to me? He hasn't sent a-"she paused.

A sad smile crossed her lips. Their marriage had been more of a compromise to give her protection. She had no right to go beyond her husband's wishes, not that he ever explicitly said so but she knew it wouldn't be proper after everything he had done for her.

And her father had not even been present at their wedding leave alone do her kanyadaan. Neither he nor her other kin could communicate with her personally unless they established a substantially cordial relationship with Karna and he permitted.

Draupadi's mind ranged through those thoughts unaware of Karna's steady gaze on her. He didn't like his wife to be sad. But he would set everything right. He cleared his throat bringing her attention to him.

"Panchali I sent a letter inviting your father here. It is only some time before he sends back word."

He smiled at her reassuringly. She couldn't believe it. Her eyes gleamed in joy.

"Now Panchali" he began gently guiding her chin to face him "You promised to take me to somewhere where unlimited supplies of flowers could be found. Won't you do so? We still have time before the festivities and puja(worship) start."

"Sure. Come with me" she beamed at her husband.

She took a few steps forwards and stopped abruptly. She was standing ahead of Karna now, her back to him. She smiled happily to herself. Everything was going so wonderfully well today.

"Panchali?"

She inhaled sharply as Karna's hand rested on her right, bare shoulder. And as if on a sudden deliberated impulse he moved his fingers ever so slightly, almost unnoticeably sending pleasant shivers through her.

She turned around slowly, a shy smile on her lips.

"Let's go Aarya. We are getting late."