7. New Beginnings

Radha and Adhirath had not said much while welcoming them. Both had smiled and had been warm but she could sense a tightness in their demeanour, an uncertainty. Of course, what else could she expect when she had once publicly humiliated their son.

It was when she was taken to her room that she finally had some solitude to think of the happenings. The room wasn't very big but had a charm of its own. The bed wasn't very comfortable like what she was acquainted to but never mind. Somehow there was a homely atmosphere in the house. She looked at herself in the mirror. She was all bedecked and her hair tied up for the first time since the dice game.They had felt so impure from Dushhashan's touch that she couldn't bring herself to tie them up but now it was different. She wore a new churamani on her head and she had to say it was did stand out- there was something powerful and soft. It dazzled radiantly. So lost was she in her own thoughts that she didn't notice when Radha had entered the room.

"Putri"

She looked up startled and quickly stood up on seeing her mother in law.

Radha felt a sudden tenderness towards her. She pitied the child for her plight and drew her to her arms seating them both.

"Mata I "

"Hush my child I know everything. There is no need to repeat what happened in the past" she replied gently wiping away a stray tear that had fallen from her eye.

"Mata please forgive me. I was very naïve and young then. I didn't know many things"

"My child it was and is still not in my position to forgive or condemn you for your mistakes of the past. But now I believe I can ask you for a promise"

"Mata ask for anything"

"Putri Draupadi please be a good wife to my son. He is a very good person at heart but some bitter experiences have caused him to be cold at times but I assure you he will take care of you well. I am now entrusting his happiness in your hands. Show him the right direction in his life. Be his light. Please."

"Mata I promise you I will do my best."

She smiled at her mother in law, genuinely smiled for the first time since the dice game.

"Putri now come eat with us. You must be hungry. Come, come with me"

She followed her mother in law to the dining area. She greeted her father in law who was already seated.

"Mata where is Angraj Karna?" She asked sitting down.

"My son is having some important conversation with Mahamahim Bhisma and Mahamantri Vidura" She smiled.

"They are here?" she asked.

"Yes my child they came some time back" Adhirath replied.

"Don't worry putri he will be joining us shortly. He told us not to wait for him" Radha said "I didn't know what you like but I made as many good dishes I knew"

She got up to help her mother in law but Radha would hear none of that.

"No putri you relax. Let me fuss over my children today"

Draupadi was genuinely touched by the gesture and looked down shyly. She was not expecting so much of affection.

A few minutes through the meal Karna came in and took up the empty seat beside her. She noticed he was happy about something but didn't ask.

"Putri Draupadi serve your husband his rice while I get the vegetables"

She looked up surprised and proceeded to carry out her order. Karna made a fleeting eye contact with her before looking back on his plate.

"Karn I made your favourite vegetable" Radha came in. He gave his mother a sweet smile.

"Karn what were you discussing with Mahamahim Bhisma and Mhamantri Vidura?" Adhirath asked his son.

"Yes Pitashri I was about to tell you that." He replied somehow looking very joyful about something "Anga has been declared an independent kingdom. It is no longer under the sovereignty of Hastinapur"

Radha ran to hug her son while Adhirath maintained his composure but was also evidently happy.

"Draupadi you are now the Queen of Anga"

She could see he was trying to gauge her thoughts. She fully understood why it had been done. Not only had Bhisma and Vidura been bound by a sense of gratefulness but they also wanted to secure her future. She nodded bringing a slight smile on her face indicating she understood. He looked up again satisfied at the confirmation.