Chapter 6: A last minute announcement

After English, I walked to math with Phoebe.
"So, I saw you and Arnold holding hands." Phoebe said and smirked.

"Shhh! Not so loud." I said.

"You totally had a moment though." Phoebe said.

"He was feeling claustrophobic and holding someone's hand makes him feel better."

"What if that was an excuse?"

"I don't think it was, Phoebe."

"Maybe, maybe not. But I think you like him."

"Okay, yes, I like Arnold. But just lowkey."

"That's exciting that you admitted it!"

"Oh my lord, Phoebe, you better not tell ANYBODY about this..."

"Helga likes Ar-" Phoebe started excitingly saying.

"Shut up!" I said as I covered her mouth.

"I wasn't actually going to announce it. I just wanted to mess with you. Keeping the secret!" Phoebe said.

"I was about to have a heart attack, Phoebe, damn." I said.

"You wanna know who I like?" Phoebe asked.

"Sure, why not."

"Gerald. Arnold's best friend."

"PHOEBE LIKES-"

"Helga, stop trying to pull my own trick on me."

I laughed. "I was kidding." I told her.

Phoebe laughed too. "I know."

One week later...
Arnold and I have got to known each other a bit more through our project. The more I spend time with him, the more I realize I like him. A part of this scared me because I didn't have a good experience with popular people. The people who bullied Olga were popular, and the popular people at my old school were not the best people.

I know that I shouldn't judge people based on their popularity. Arnold may be one of the most popular guys at PS 118, but he is nice, charming, and caring. And he seems like a really good person. I'm glad to see a popular person that I can trust.

Arnold and I still never mentioned the kiss at Rhonda's party. I never had the chance to ask him about it. I know it was just a kiss on a dare, but it's pretty much what caused us to feel closer to each other. I just wanted to know what he thought about it. Probably nothing, but I wanted to know his thoughts.

"Okay class, I want to announce our class trip for this winter break! You aren't required to go, but it would be very special if you all did!" Mr. Simmons announced.

"Ooh I wonder where we're going!" Phoebe said.

"It better be somewhere good! Rich people like me can't be seen at some poor place!" Rhonda said.

"Can you go one minute without bragging about how much money you have?" Gerald said.

"Okay class, settle down. During winter break in two weeks, we are going on a class trip to Anaheim. I will hand out your permission slips." Mr Simmons announced to the class.

Did I hear him correctly?
ANAHEIM?!

Where I used to live? Where Olga's bullies are?
Why has fate been messing with me ever since I got here? And would I actually go on the trip? Or would I stay in Hillwood for winter break?

"Helga? Why do you look so surprised?" Phoebe asked.

"That's where I used to live!" I said.

"Well that's bizarre and weird." Phoebe said.