Chapter 13: The L Word

Now was a time to panic. If Phoebe didn't have it, then who did? And what were they gonna be doing with it?

"I left it on the table, and it just disappeared and you don't know where it is?" I asked frantically.

"I was on my phone, and when I looked away from it, the book was gone..." Phoebe admitted.

"How could you let this happen? There are so many secrets in that book!"

"I'm sorry... but after school we can go to the lost and found."

"Sounds good. Let's just go to class before we're late."

After school...

Phoebe and I had gone to the school lost and found to search for my diary.

"So what's in this book that you are so desperate to hide?" Phoebe asked as she scavenged through people's lost items.

"Pretty much everything since I first moved here. I've been writing about my life in diaries since I was in first grade. This is my twentieth one. And this current book in particular has a lot of stuff about Arnold. It would be embarrassing if people were to read that sappy stuff." I explained.

"Wow, that is a lot of dedication. I really hope we'll find it before someone reads it." Phoebe said.

"Mind if I join you in the search?" A voice behind me uttered. I turned around and it was the girl who stood up for me earlier, Patty.

"Go right ahead." I said.

"I'm Patty." Patty introduced to Phoebe.

"I'm Phoebe." Phoebe introduced.

"I know I just met you guys, but I want to confide about you in something." Patty said.

"What's on your mind?" Phoebe asked.

"I like this guy... but he has a rocky reputation. I'm not sure if he is right for me." Patty said nervously.

"I've learned not to judge people based on their reputation. You shouldn't do that. Who is it?" I said.

"His name is Harold." Patty said.

Harold is the player who Phoebe had warned me about in the beginning of the school year. I didn't want to stop Patty from seeing him because that would be hypocritical since I had just said to not judge people based on their reputations. But I still wanted my new friend to be careful when it came to him. If this was months ago, I'd say I'd break his face if he broke her heart. But I'm trying not to threaten violence anymore.

"We've been hanging out a lot, ever since we got assigned to be partners on the class project..." Patty said.

"The only advice I can give you is to be careful." I cautioned.

"Speaking of romance, when are you gonna tell Arnold about you know what?" Phoebe asked me.

"I need to find the right time. I don't like admitting this, but I'm scared. I'm scared what I did in the past would push him away, and I'm scared he might get bored of me one day. But my love for him is stronger than my fears-"

That was the first time I had dropped the big L word about him. It scared me, but I realized that I, Helga Geraldine Pataki loved Arnold Phillip Shortman.

Phoebe's face lit up and gasped after I said that.

"Did you just say the L word?" Phoebe said, sounding perky.

"Yes... I... I love Arnold. I've never ever felt the things I feel for him, and I want him to be in my life forever. I love Arnold." I admitted.

"This is so exciting." Phoebe said.