Chapter 12: Back to school

As Arnold walked off, I clasped my hands together, closed my eyes, and let out a soft sigh in adoration.

I headed back to the baggage claim where Olga was waiting for me. She was going to be driving me back home.

As I took my seat in the passenger seat of the car, Olga immediately started acting hyper.

"You need to tell me all of the details!" Olga loudly said in a chipper voice.

"It's too early for you to be this loud." I grouchy replied.

"I'll stop being loud when you give the details." Olga said.

"Okay fine. I got together with that guy I was talking about..." I bluntly told her.

Olga then started clapping at what I said.

"Olga, keep your hands on the damn steering wheel!" I called out.

"Sorry. I'm just happy for you, baby sis." Olga said as she put her hands back on the steering wheel.

"You could've just said so instead of putting us in danger."

"It was only for like one second. You're always so dramatic, baby sis."

"Yeah, okay. But I have something else to tell you."

"What is it?"

I let out an exasperated sigh. "I saw dad." I told her.

"Are you serious? What happened?" Olga asked.

"He told me to meet him and he apologized..."

"I can't believe you saw him! What did you say?"

"I can't fully let go of the past. I mean, he neglected me! But I do appreciate the apology..."

"I understand. I remember he put so much stress on me to be perfect. I would have mental breakdowns trying to get my studying and piano playing as perfect as can be. I got tired ot it because I wanted to please him. But I do wish him the best."

For the remainder of the car ride, I told Olga about what happened on the class trip. About fifteen minutes later, we arrived at our house.

We rushed in to our house to find my mother waiting in the living room. She looked pretty happy to see us walking in.

"Hi girls!" Miriam greeted us, holding her arms out for a hug. Her voice was more steady and lessed slurred.

Olga and I both walked over to hug our mother in reunion.

"Guess what guys? I'm clean!" Miriam said as she broke the hug.

"That's great mother! I'm so happy for you!" I exclaimed. And I really was happy for her. I'm glad she got the help she needed for her alcoholism. Maybe this fresh start really worked after all.

Two weeks later...

I spent a lot of the remaining winter break time with Arnold. And today, we were going back to school. We had decided to keep our new relationship a secret from the school for the time being, since neither of us were ready to be in the spotlight with it so early. Because at PS 118, the word about everything gets around as quick as lightning. We didn't want to keep our relationship a secret forever, but we didn't want the spotlight right when we returned from winter break.

I tried not to act too differently around Arnold in public for now. I tried to act like I normally did before we left for the break.

I met Phoebe by her locker after getting my stuff so I could talk to her before class started.