I

The breeze pushed it's way through my hair as I teetered on the ledge of the balcony. Everyone was long asleep, but I couldn't possibly get to sleep with what was going on down the road. If I leaned out far enough, I could see the lights illuminating the street in strobe-streaked colours. The night air was refreshing, but it didn't help clear my migraine- caused by the incessant pounding bass of some terrible, overplayed music. 

I balanced along the edge until I had full view of the house and I scrunched up my nose. I knew who the grand white house belonged to, of course, and it wasn't out of character for him to pull this kind of stunt. He had no regards for other people, or their feelings. Who cares if people have work in the morning? He needs his fun. 

My foot slipped slightly and my heart skipped a beat, fingers grasping onto the closest surface to stop me falling to my death. I cautiously moved to a sitting position, legs dangling off the side of my balcony. Kicking my legs back and forth, I thought about what it would be like to hit the ground. Not pleasant. I pushed those thoughts away. 

My attention was once again grabbed by a round of whooping from down the street- teenagers, out of their mind from alcohol and whatever substances, stumbling into the middle of the road. They were all singing along the words to the song, their glass bottles in the air. In the distance, I could see blue and red lights travelling along the hills. I watched as the teenagers scattered like ants, fleeing in all directions. I stayed perched on the balcony, watching as two familiar females wobbled up the steep hill to the house, giggling and helping each other walk. 

I heard the front door open below me and a shadowy figure walked out to meet them, wrapping his arm around them- for balance- and ushering them inside. He looked up at me and shooed me back inside with his hand, hissing that it was dangerous to sit up here. I glanced back towards the house at the bottom of the hill one more time, shaking my head and climbing down. 

I pulled the sliding glass door open and immediately I could hear that the house was now filled with voices. They had woken everyone up. My door was cracked open, so I peeped out, seeing a light come from the master bedroom. Whatever. I'm tired. I pushed my bedroom door closed fully and climbed into bed, slotting in earphones. I pressed play on some music to get me to sleep, drifting into the embrace of classical piano. It reminded me of my childhood.