XII

The week of bedrest had been extended to two, but it was finally over- Daxx had finally agreed I could return to school. My ribs were still a little sore, but they were greatly improved from what they were. I still had the remainder of a black eye, but I covered it up with some concealer I had stolen from Angel. I had also cut my hair yesterday, since it had grown pretty shaggy. 

I pulled on some skinny jeans and a black plaid shirt, with one of Daxx's black band tees underneath. I stilled at my reflection. Since when was I putting in an effort to go to school? I hadn't even heard from Jimmy since that conversation late at night. 

I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs, wolfing down some toast that Connor had made for me. Angel and Mary joined us shortly after, complementing my new hair. We set off for school together, Connor yelling he loved us as we left.

We piled into my car and I braced myself as I headed back to the place of my nightmares. I hadn't been here in two weeks and I hadn't missed it one bit. As I drove past Jimmy's house, I spotted his car still in the drive. He would be late. 

I pushed thoughts about Jimmy out of my head, soon pulling into the school carpark. I winced as I remembered what happened here just two weeks ago. They didn't have security footage, so the report was pretty much dropped. I was told to just consider myself lucky Jimmy was there. Huh...

"Want to walk in with us?" Angel offered, seeing me wince.

"Uh, sure." I accepted her offer, locking the car behind us. 

We walked up the steps and through the main doors, towards her little group of friends. Most of them looked at the floor rather than at me and I felt uncomfortable, shifting from foot to foot while Angel spoke, unaware as always. I stuck with them anyway, until first period bell. It was either this or potentially being beaten up again.

I waved farewell and wandered off to first period, avoiding goons as I went. I was extra vigilant now that they had reminded me what they were capable of. As soon as I arrived at period one, I was met with more bad news.

Mock exams were soon. In my absence, they had been preparing for them. I would be fine, but that meant that we had very little time before Jimmy had to have improved. I hope he's been studying independently in my absence. 

My day was particularly dull and I found myself being reminded of jimmy quite often, but I hadn't seen him yet. At lunch, I collected food for Daxx and I and headed to his office, per usual. 

As I arrived at his door I knocked and was met by Jimmy and Daxx. I furrowed my eyebrows at the sight and Jimmy looked equally as shocked to see me, his eyes softening as he scanned me over. I bit my lip as he looked over me, wondering what he thought. 

He said nothing. He simply pushed past me and made his way down the corridor. I looked at Daxx and he ushered me in, closing the door. I handed him his lunch and settled into my usual comfortable chair.

"What was that about?" I asked Daxx.

"I can't talk about patients, but he got referred to me last month. Started showing up to sessions last Tuesday. Must be because I met him at the incident." Daxx shrugged, taking a bite of his lunch.

He'd started art therapy? I wonder what his drawing were like- probably a big pride flag scribbled out with black... or a big question mark. I probably shouldn't mention this to him, he'd only retreat further. He better not talk about me in therapy, though. Daxx isn't clueless.

"Daxx?" I asked, getting his attention.

"What's up?" He asked, typing on his laptop while he ate.