XXII

A week or so had passed by since the incident with Jimmy.

I had spent a lot of the last week just listening to records in my room or studying. I don't think I had ever crammed that much knowledge into my head in such a short amount of time. With exams right around the corner, however, maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

I often spotted Jimmy around the halls, hanging out with the goons. He avoided eye contact and so did I. The goons had pretty much left me alone too, except for a sticky can of cola being poured inside my school bag while I wasn't looking. It ruined some revision notes, but at least my face was intact.

Felix was cashing in my previous offer to wingman him, taking me to a club tonight. I was sort of reluctant to go, but I couldn't be a bad friend to Felix when he had done so much for me. I had spent a portion of the evening googling 'how to wingman'. Wikihow told me I had to keep their friend busy, so Felix could have some alone time with the guy. It didn't seem like rocket science, but considering I have minimal social experience, it would be quite the task.

Since it was the weekend and I was at Daxx's right now, I had both Angel and Mary here with me. It was lucky they didn't care for their studies, since I was pretty stuck for an outfit. They were currently rummaging through my closet, huffing about how all I owned were Daxx's old band tees.

"Remind me to buy you a decent shirt for Christmas." Mary grumbled, disregarding stacks of clothes.

"Give me a second- I have an idea." Angel clapped her hands together, darting out of my room.

I sat on the bed patiently, waiting for her return. When she did, she had one of Daxx's work shirts in her hand. I furrowed my eyebrow, looking at the large, white button down. It would be too big on me- Daxx was a big guy. A big twenty eight year old guy. Plus, I had white shirts of my own. I pointed this out and both of the girls rolled their eyes at me, pulling me off the bed.

Angel forced the baggy white button down onto me, buttoning it up. She left the top few buttons undone and rolled up the arm sleeves. She tucked one part of the shirt into the front of my skinny jeans and nodded with a smile. I looked in the mirror and I had to admit, it was quite a cool outfit.

The baggy shirt looked almost asymmetrical, since only half of the shirt was tucked in. The fact it was oversized wasn't bad since it wasn't drowning me in fabric like I had expected. Instead, it was hanging off me in the right places, emphasising my slim physique and sharp collar bones. 

I sat back on the bed and cuffed the bottoms of my skinny jeans a bit, pulling on some white socks and platform Dr Martens. I put on a belt and nodded at my reflection. I thanked the girls and headed down to my car, sliding in. I sent a quick text to Felix to let him know I was on my way to pick him up, pulling out of the driveway.

It was quite late, but it was a Saturday night so the roads were still a little busy. I parked on campus, letting him know I was here. Felix had visited me the day after the Jimmy event, so he knew what happened. He had comforted me, although by then I had pulled myself together. I didn't tell him about the cliff part, for obvious reasons. 

Speak of the devil, I could see him strutting his way towards the car, looking beyond excited. He flung the door open and gasped at my outfit, gesturing to me dramatically. He was pretending to stumble over his own words, fanning himself.

"Angel picked it." I shrugged, blushing  a bit at his antics.

"Going into a gay club dressed like that..." Felix whistled, climbing into the car, "Let's just say you'll be asking 'Jimmy who?' by the end of the night."

That made me laugh a little, although my chest thudded slightly. I ignored the urge to wince, starting up the engine. I had offered to drive, since I wouldn't be drinking. Usually Felix's upbeat mood was contagious, but tonight I really wasn't feeling up to a night of dancing. I think he could tell, because he turned the music up and flipped through the songs until it settled on one of my favourites.