1.26

It wasn't supposed to happen like this. At least not like this. She wanted it to happen but not like this. She hoped, she prayed, she cried for this to happen.

The fear that Mateo wasn't going to wake up was always there but now it was a fear about what would happen after. She wanted her brother to wake up, she still does. But the fear of not knowing what was going to happen was strong. She liked things to be in her control because not knowing wasn't good for her, it made her question every single thing, made her panic, her pulse to quicken. She wasn't sure why, it just did.

Her fear of losing Mateo was greater then her fear of the unknown, of what would happen. But as she was running to the hospital, her father in a different country for one of his patients. She was going to deal with this alone and she couldn't help but wish it happened later when her dad was here. He was the doctor and Teresa wasn't, what if she said or did something wrong? What if she said something to make him panic and his heart wouldn't slow down?

There were lots of ways this day could turn out, wrong or right and it was messing with Teresa's head. There was no one doing this with her. Her mother left for the second time, her brother wouldn't want to see just her. Her father wasn't here. She couldn't bring her stepmom or step brother because how was Mateo going to deal with that? She couldn't bring her friends not even Zay because they didn't know, because Teresa didn't know how to talk about it without breaking down or having a possible panic attack, but she managed to do it with Elliot.

And Elliot. She couldn't bring him, it was a family thing and she couldn't just expect him to drop everything just to comfort her or be there. He doesn't have to and she can't ask him to.

Maybe he just needed her. Teresa hoped that was the case because that was all she could offer him. She didn't know what happens after someone just wakes up from a coma, she tried to read about it but she never finished. She couldn't finish it.

When Teresa made it to the hospital, she didn't ask for directions. She knew the way by now, so she ran up the stairs instead of the elevator because she didn't think of it. She ran all the way to where she knew his room was, in front of it was his doctors talking so she stopped and catched her breath for a minute, her face red then she walked over to them. This was the moment she was waiting for, this was it.

"How's my brother?" Teresa asked them. Dr Andrew Jones was the one she knew the most because after all he was family. One of her aunts married him, lasted just a year. And honestly he felt more like family then her aunt.

"Sobrina." Dr Jones paused, that was something else he learned Spanish for her but that didn't stop what happened, it wasn't fair for her to just throw away everything they had, "Where's your dad?"

"He's not here." Teresa responded watching the three doctors (except for the forth who Teresa didn't recognize) share a look, "what happened? I'm not a kid, you can tell me."

"He did wake up." The one Teresa didn't know confirmed.

"Who are you?" Teresa asked.

"I'm Dr Daisy Reid." The doctor held her hand out and Teresa eyed it warily, "I found your brother."

"She's the one who found him wake up." Dr Jones explained.

Teresa shook Dr Reid's hand, "I'm Teresa. Thank you." Teresa didn't say why but it was clear, she was thanking her for being there when he woke up, that he didn't have to wake up alone confused for hours till someone decided to check up on him.

"Mateo was having trouble walking which is normal in his case." Dr Newton Grace told her.

Teresa looked shocked, "you made him walk?"