• what do I have left? •

Kageyama POV
Bark
Was that... a dog?

Bark
It was coming from inside of the gym.

Bark
What's going on?

"Settle down now" another voice says.

"Oikawa?" I say, recognising his voice. "What're you doing here"

"Nice way to greet a beloved senpai" He says in an overly dramatic way.

Bark

"Is that.... a dog?" I say finally.

"So you do know what a dog is, that's a relief. I told Chibi-chan that you'd be completely oblivious"

"Why wouldn't I know what a dog is?" I respond bluntly.

"It's a guide dog, Kageyama" Hinata says

I widen my eyes.
A guide dog?

"A guide dog in training" Oikawa clarifies. "You know we can't afford a real guide dog."

"Y...you guys bought him?"

"Not really... this is my aunties dog who used to do training. Although we didn't buy him it took a lot of convincing."

Hinata pushes me to kneel down, and the dog comes to me.

Animals have never liked me too much.

That's why I got super confused when it chose to come up to me.

I didn't exactly know how to react to it, and Hinata and Oikawa were amused by by cluelessness.

"You can't exactly use the cane by yourself" Hinata says. "And since you walk alone on Mondays, he should help"

I still wasn't too sure how this was going to work out. How can a dog guide me.

"I know what you're thinking Tobio-chan" Oikawa says. "But just give it a go"

Time Skip
Kageyama POV
During Karasuno's Thursday practice, I actually played with the ball for awhile

Of course, the rest of the team helped me out, as well as the dog I'd come to know as Taiyo.

Noya was surprisingly good with dogs, although I was told that Taiyo was almost as big as him.

He helped me out more than I could ever imagine, and not just with guiding me around.

I've been so afraid of being alone, and now I never am. I can't think of a way to thank Oikawa and Hinata enough.

My attention draws away from the practice, and my mind wanders off about Oikawa.

I can't think of a single reason he would help me. I would have thought he'd be happy to see the competition lessen, given that inter highs were coming up.

Shit.

Inter highs.

I hadn't even thought about inter highs. Or any competition for that matter.

It's pathetic.

I used to be so far above everyone and now I'm so far behind I can't even see them.

"Alright everyone listen up" Daichi says, interrupting my thoughts and concluding practice.

We all gather around, and I get there quite easily thanks to Taiyo.

"Be sure to get plenty of rest since our training camp to Tokyo is in three days. We leave at 6am sharp. Dismissed!"

After everyone goes to change, I talk to Daichi privately.

"Hey, Daichi.... do you think maybe I can come to the training camp too"

"The coaches and I gave it some thought, and we didn't see any reason you couldn't go. You don't have to just be there either. This'll be a great opportunity for you to train"

"Yeah, I sure need it" I say and chuckle a little.

Daichi doesn't seem amused.

I forgot I'm not talking to a light hearted Hinata.

"I think you're doing great" Daichi says, before going off to change with the others.

Yeah right. Nice way to sugar coat it.

I'm really not doing too well at all.

In volleyball at least.

It's going to be a long time until I can even get a little better.

I find myself digging deep into my thoughts.

How long will it be until I get better?
Will I even get better at all?
If I don't, what will I do?
It's not like I'm at all academically smart
So without volleyball what do I have left.

Taiyo barks at me, clearly seeing my distress.

I stroke him to let him know I'm ok.

It still doesn't stop me from thinking:

Without volleyball, what do I have left?

Time Skip

Hinata POV
I go pick Kageyama up really early for the training camp. It was freezing, and by now all of my clothes were way too big for me.

I ended up wearing them anyway, and ended up freezing my butt off with the looseness.

I knock on the door.
His sister opens it.

"You poor thing!" she exclaims. "Come inside where it's warm"

"Actually" I say. "I'm just here to pick up Kageya- uhh Tobio"

"He'll be out real soon"

When he does, I take his suitcase and we walk to school.

"You know" he says. "I've never seen either of your parents before"

"Where'd that come from"

"Oh uhh. Sorry, I just thought it was weird that you never get dropped anywhere. I mean it's freezing. Sure my parents work but..."

He trails off not really knowing what to say. I seem to know where he's getting at however.

"It's really not what you think. My dad died not too long ago and my mum can't drive that's it"

Kageyama POV

I didn't even know why I asked the question.
I guess with Hinata knowing so much about my life I was kinda curious to know about his.

Taiyo wasn't allowed to come, which really sucked.

Sure I could use the cane, but it wasn't like I was any good at it.

When we arrived, the bus was heated thankfully.

I realise now how long this trip is going to be without being able to see the scenery.

"Here" Hinata says, and I put my hands out. He puts a pair of headphones on them.

I unintentionally smile.

"Thanks"