✰ CHAPTER ONE ✰

THE DETENTIONPART ONE

THE DETENTION
PART ONE

Ava styled her hair in the heart shaped mirror screwed into her bedroom wall. Despite it being a tiny little house, the girl was very sentimental and treasured all her belongings, whether family treasures or secondhand specials. Slipping one of her mother's necklaces around her neck and tucking the silver heart pendant beneath her shirt collar, she ran down the stairs grabbing a burnt slice of toast as she slung her handbag over her shoulder and left the house. Ava lived on the same small street as Clare, her bubbly, charitable friend, who she waved to as the blonde girl stepped out her red front door. The girls beamed as they saw one another, excited to return to school, despite the commotion surrounding the bomb that morning. Both had sported denim jackets over their uniforms, after Erin had begged them all to redesign themselves ahead of the new year.

"What's all this? I thought we were going to be individuals this year" Clare moaned, rolling her eyes as the awaited Quinn cousins finally arrived at the corner, the four girls always met at before walking to the school bus stop together.

"Look I wanted to Clare, but my ma wouldn't let me" Erin sighed, as annoyed as Clare was in that moment. Erin's ma was a strict woman, but she had taken Ava in many nights when her nana was in hospital, feeding her dinner or breakfast and so she would always be grateful for her.

"Well, I'm not being an individual on my own" Claire tutted as she ripped off her denim jacket to show her blazer hidden underneath. At this Ava sighed, she had spent all night covering her cropped denim jacket in pink badges of all different slogans, desperately wanting to wear it to school. The likelihood that Sister Michael would allow the girl to get away with it on her own was minimal, however she opted to keep it on despite this.

"You not getting anything?" Erin asked as Clare stuffed her face into a bowl of sugared sweets, watching sadly at the uneaten sugared treats.

"I'm trying to do this fast for Ethiopia." Clare stated, although there was a sense of regret in her voice, that grew every time her stomach rumbled.

"Lord help us," Ava muttered as she watched Erin fill her bag. She loved Clare, but these fasts never ended well. Or at the right time, as she usually broke within the first few hours.

"For Christ sake what is it with you and Africa?" Erin sighed as she turned to the smaller blonde.

"Will you sponsor me?" Clare glanced between the three girls hopefully, ignoring Erin's question.

"How much?" Erin asked, willing to help the cause for a budget.

"Two pound" Clare replied softly.