✰ CHAPTER SIXTEEN ✰

MRS DE BRÚNPART ONE

MRS DE BRÚN
PART ONE

Uninterested, the teens gazed towards Sister Michael, having found themselves in yet another boring assembly, stood tiredly as they awaited the reveal of the religious statue beneath the blanket. Ava's head rested comfortably in its usual place upon James' shoulder, struggling to keep her eyes open while the voice of their teacher drained on, now presenting her newest possession.

"I don't get what it's supposed to be?" James screwed his brows together as the audience stared on at the religious figure before them.

"It's Jesus as a wain," Michelle stated quickly, James seemed to be the only one in the room who didn't know.

"Why has he got a big red hat on?" The English boy continued, now more confused than before.

"Nobody knows," Michelle shrugged, bored with both staring at the statue and James' questioning.

"Maybe he was cold," Ava shrugged, her eyes staring up at James, whose hand grasped hers as he chuckled at her statement. In truth, they had been growing closer ever since they had met, a pull to be with each other that had only grown stronger from that first smile at the bus stop. Between them there was always something different, what any outsider would recognise as a spark, from longing gazes to whispered jokes, and whilst they melted at the fluttering feeling deep within their stomachs, neither could recognise what was really going on between them.

"Sadly, Sister Patrick has decided to leave us, she's returning to her missionary work, education the heathen inhabitants of a primitive and savage place," Sister Michael began detailing, a level of disgust present within her tone.

"She's taken a teaching post in Belfast sister," the lady beside her interrupted, confused as to why she was describing it this way.

"Precisely. The board of governors promised me that her replacement would arrive today. But as usual they were talking out of their..." Sister Michael trailed off at the sound of the hall doors flying open, a woman decked out in a leather motorbike suit smiling as each and every student stared at her in awe.

"I believe you've been expecting me," She announced, smiling once noticing she owned the gaze of everyone in the room.

"Here we go."

For possibly the first time in history, the entire English class eagerly stared on at their teacher, somewhat excited for the lesson. Miss De Brun sat at the teacher's desk, her yellow suit catching the eye of everyone, mostly Ava however, who had already made a mental note to fill her wardrobe with pant suits, in awe at how powerful they looked on the woman before her.

"What is it we should be doing, Miss?" Jenny Joyce quizzed, raising her hand, and awaiting instructions, desperate to do some actual work.

"What should you be doing? Now there's the question, but let me ask you a better one, what is it you want to do?" Miss De Brun spun Jenny's question back round to the unsuspecting girl, as she stood up and walked around her desk.