✰CHAPTER FIFTEEN ✰

FRIENDS ACROSS THE BORDERPART TWO

PART TWO

Eagerly, the teens gathered within the big hall, sporting matching 'Friends across the barricade' t-shirts that the schools had provided their students with, as well as the white, sticky labels their names were scribbled upon, or in Ava's case, written in bright pink marker, followed by a heart drawing, that she'd also added onto James' label - without his knowledge.

"So, our Lady Immaculate Girls have been split into groups, A through to F, as have the Londonderry Boys Academy." Sister Michael described, she and the other head teacher were now stood centre stage, lecturing their students.

"We'd like A's to find A's, B's to find B's and so on, it's very straightforward. However, if that isn't clear, feel free to say so." The other woman described a frown evident on her wrinkled face, suggesting she too didn't want to be here, a common theme amongst the teachers.

"But know that you will be judged." Sister Michael added, judgmentally.

At this, the girls and James began looking for who they were to be paired up with for the trip, Michelle and Erin desperate for it to be one particular boy they had 'claimed' earlier. Groups soon found one another as they lined up facing the opposing school group, boys on one side and the girls (and James) on the other. Noticing who was stood opposite them, Michelle and Erin fangirled over the boy they had seen earlier that day, shoving the 'gifts' into his hands before going back to posing awkwardly in their line, the others watching on in confusion.

"Ach lads, you shouldn't have." Erin smiled sweetly at the boys, clutching the soft teddy bears they'd received as gifts, only Orla and Ava had gone without due to there being two less boys in their group.

"I'm starting to see that alright," Dee, one of the Londonderry lads spoke up, holding up the barely - and badly - filled sandwich bag of presents the girls had put together .

"I'm gonna keep mine on my bed, where I sleep, in my knickers," Michelle smirked at Harry, pulling the legs apart and winking, receiving only a terrified look from Harry in return.

"I mean these are free for a start. My dad has like 45 of them." Dee spoke, disappointed, as he held up the tiny Ulster bank key ring Ava had donated to the gift bag.

"We were told it was an all-girls school, you've been cut a shortchanged there." Jon spoke up, rubbing his jaw awkwardly, before handing James the stuffed toy wrapped in a silky, pink bow.

"Nah, nah it's fine mate. It's alright, it's all good," James nodded, his entire persona having changed now that he was finally in the company of another boy.

"Maybe you could give it to your bird?" Jon nodded over to the girl standing quietly next to Orla, the two were bored out of their minds having noticed they had no partner for the trip, the boy assumed they were dating based off of their matching name labels - as well as the glances James was (not so subtly) sending her way. A curious James followed his gaze, noticing how it had fallen on his Ava, standing glumly as she gazed around the room. Mentally, James questioned whether he should rope the girl into his plans to seem more laddish and gain some boy mates, not wanting to overstep the boundaries of their friendship with her - but at the same time, not wanting to leave her alone for the whole trip. Besides, he knew she'd absolutely adore the bear.