1 - It's Not Greenview

It was an uncomfortably hot Sunday, which usually meant that the flea market was empty, but today it was surprisingly busy.

I guess with summer arriving in the next few days, people wanted to spruce up their houses and yards. The brightest people knew the best place to do this was at the monthly flea market.

I ran my hand across a newly restored dresser. I love how much care people put into these projects. How they choose something already beautiful in their eyes and they make it shine again. That was the other great thing about the flea market. You get to meet the people who made each piece.

"This will be the perfect piece to add to my collection," my dad shouted from around the corner. He always got louder when he got excited about something.

Just moments ago, he had been happily chatting with my mom about how this other perfect piece would make a great centrepiece, but he was doing it at a reasonable volume. Now, I knew he was about to make a purchase because he was practically shouting.

Looking over at the large desk that he was raving about, I wondered where in the world he thinks he is going to put it since there is no more room in our house.

Sighing, knowing we would be here for a while, I tuned out the noise and leaned against a soft recliner, venturing into my daydreams about the novel that I finished last night. Another handsome saviour and strong woman fell in love, despite everything. I always liked the "despite everything" because it proved that love does conquer all. My friends liked to make fun of me for being a hopeless romantic, but I always believed that when you found the one, that was it.

You would look into their eyes, and everything would just click, and you would find yourself drawn to that person despite everything. I know that is entirely unrealistic, but a girl can dream about having that perfect love. I sighed, thinking of Mike again. How could I turn that goofy boy who barely notices me into that handsome saviour?

During my daydream, my parents had travelled closer to me and had found me against the recliner. I was shocked out of my state when my dad carelessly shoved me off of the chair and sat down, sinking into it.

"This will be perfect for the new shop!"

Jeez, how many more things does he think he can fit into the house? I giggled at his ridiculousness before I noticed my parents staring at me with worried expressions.

What? I know they think I am a bit off in my own world sometimes; however, they usually don't stare at me with such apprehension. 

Wait. Did my dad just say shop?

I turned; my voice was soft. As it always was. "Sorry? The new shop?"

My mom hit my dad on the shoulder, and he glanced down. I almost laughed. If they didn't want me to notice, they should have continued their conversation normally. Obviously, this had been something they were planning to hide from me for a little bit longer.

"Oh," my dad said, "I didn't think you were listening."

I giggled, "I wasn't, but you have to tell me now!"

My mom looked nervous. "Well, your dad and I finally bought a shop for your dad's business. It was the perfect location at a trendy strip mall, and we couldn't pass up the opportunity!"

Why would she be looking so worried? This was great news! I grinned, my dad had wanted a shop for so long. He restores old pieces like the ones at the flea market. Usually, he had his pieces here, but today had been different.

I had not questioned it until now, but maybe he wanted to save his pieces for the new shop. I leaned over the recliner's armrest, pulling my dad into a big hug. They should know I would be happy for them, why was he acting so hesitant? He almost didn't hug me back.