24 - I Should Have Forgiven You

"Brodie, what are you doing here?"

Sure, I was pretty tired, but even my exhaustion would not come up with this situation.

He smiled, ignoring my questions and taking my bag from me, forcing me to follow him outside to the parking lot. "What are you up to, Brodie?" I groaned.

"Well, actually, I got my license finally last week, so I can drive people who are not family around now. So I decided I was going to come and pick you up."

I smiled, that was very sweet.

"And I am going to take you back to my house, and you and Eli are going to kiss and make up."

My smile fell. That was less sweet.

I thought about how badly I wanted that to happen, but I did not want to be pushy. Maybe it was time to be pushy, though.

I looked down at my matching sweats, feeling much more self-conscious than I had a minute ago. "Ummm."

Brodie could understand what was going through my mind because he swatted my arm. "Stop it, Betty, you look adorable and perfectly harmless. I don't think anyone could be mad at you when you look like that."

I don't know; I was mad at me for looking the way I did right now. I looked like I was ready for bed, and I was about to go to the guy's house who I was falling for and beg him to forgive me. However, I didn't feel ready for bed anymore. All of my tiredness had instantly been replaced with adrenaline as soon as Brodie mentioned Eli.

I felt nervous as I buckled myself into Brody's cute new car. He looked over at me as he started the car, "Oh stop, it's not going to be that bad Betty."

"Oh no, I am much more worried about your driving," I said, teasing him.

He gasped, "rude; I am a great driver."

He was not that bad. He did drive slower than most boys his age; however, I would rather drive slowly than be racing through the streets. It gave me time to think about what I could say to Eli. Or at least it should have because I was drawing a blank.

By the time we reached their house, I still had nothing. We parked, and I turned to Brodie, almost shaking, "How am I going to fix this?" I asked. If he was forcing me to do this, he was being dragged into every last aspect.

"Oh, I already have an idea," he said. We got out of the car, leaving my bag in the back. He smiled at me, "deep breaths Betty."

I took a deep breath and grimaced. I don't know if I could do this without crying. Brodie seemed to have more faith than me at my ability to fix things because he grabbed my hand and dragged me upstairs into Eli's bedroom, slamming the door behind me.

Unfortunately, I fell to the floor in a not so graceful manner. "Brodie!" I screeched. This was not a good idea. This was barely an idea at all. Maybe 12 percent of an idea.

Brodie laughed from outside the door. I tried to open the door, but he had locked it somehow. I did not think there was a lock on the outside of this door.

"No! Betty, you can't come out until you two talk." I could hear Brodie walk down the hallway. Leaving so I wouldn't beg him to open the door.

I huffed and sat on the edge of Eli's bed, trying to calm down. Once I could hear something other than my blood rushing, I heard music playing.

Eli was in the shower.

I had no idea if Eli knew I was in here yet, but when the shower shut off, I swear my heart started beating faster than it should.