19 - Hot Objects

Taylor ended up going home with Owen that night. They did not come to school on Thursday and Taylor texted me that they were taking the day off together. I am glad that they were working this out; they were too close for this to break them.

On Friday, Taylor and Jones were back to acting shy and coy around each other at lunch. Owen had apologized to Jones, and even though they didn't bring up the reason why Owen had gotten so upset, everyone seemed to know. Luckily it looked like friendships were more durable than this tiff because, by Saturday, everything seemed normal.

I had no idea where Taylor and Jone's relationship stood at this point, and when I asked Taylor about it, she said they were going to start slow. I guess that meant taking a step back from that makeout session I walked away from on Wednesday.

---

It was raining on Saturday, which didn't happen much in New Mexico, and it usually forced everyone indoors. People here were not adapted to running around in the rain.

Somehow, Eli, Taylor and Owen ended up at my house for the day. Eli brought over sandwiches that his dad, who I had yet to meet, made us for lunch, and Owen and Taylor brought some snacks. I supplied the board games.

We watched a bad made-for-TV movie that was playing, and Taylor and I cuddled up on the couch, forcing the boys to sit in the two loveseats, much to Eli's disappointment. He did try to join us on the couch, and we ended up kicking him off.

Taylor liked the idea of no boys allowed.

"Boys seem to be the route of all my issues," she said, smirking.

Owen laughed, "if it weren't for you being a thorn in my side, I could say the same thing."

I grinned, I am glad they seemed to be back to normal.

Around dinner time, Eli went back home, and the twins and I ordered dinner from the 66 Diner.

---

"Are you excited about tonight?" Owen asked smirking. I understood that he was meaning, but I was extremely nervous about going to another party. So I just smiled slightly and shrugged and hoped we would move onto another topic.

"Well, I am excited, but I think we need to get a little more party up in here!" Taylor squealed, grabbing her phone. I cringed at her smile, what was this going to be?

ABBA music blasted throughout the house, shaking the walls. My body started to loosen as the beat pulsed through my body.

Taylor giggled, grabbing my hands and pulling me out of the chair I had perched on. I stumbled forward, using her body to stabilize myself, but I barely got the chance because my goofy friend started swinging me throughout the kitchen. I was surprised by how much better a carefree moment like this would make me feel.

Her brother joined us after a few moments after some pestering from Taylor.

The dancing only lasted a few songs because it was getting close to the time we needed to leave, and we still had not gotten ready.

Tonight was going to be different. I was going to stop worrying so much, and I was going to kiss Eli. I am pretty sure things would be a lot easier if I made the first move. I had made such a big deal about going slow that I am not sure he would ever think I was ready.

My stomach twisted at the thought. There was so much I wanted to do, but the build-up of years of imagining what it would be like, left me a mess.

"Come on! I want to look hot tonight!" I said, pulling Taylor upstairs, who was already trying to get into the alcohol. "You have to help me! You can't get drunk yet!"