20 - Stand Up For Yourself

By the time we made it to the party, it was already in full swing.

However, it didn't take us long to find Eli, Jones and Kyle sitting with a few girls on the couch I had left Eli on at the last party. I immediately tried to push down the jealousy I felt due to the girl sitting up close next to Eli.

Wondering how I could get her to move so I could sit next to Eli, the three of us wandered over to the group. "Hi, guys!" Said Taylor, happily.

When Eli looked up, I could tell he was already a little drunk, too, because he got a goofy grin on his face and reached out towards me with his hands squeezing the air. I giggled when Owen shoved me a bit closer to the excited boy.

My stomach flipped when Eli got up slightly to capture my wrist and then pulled me down on top of him. I was glad I was wearing shorts because I am not sure how well a dress would have faired in this situation. I did not fall gracefully, but I did end up with both cheeks on Eli's lap, and my legs draped over his.

Eli buried his face into my neck, and my heart raced at the feeling of his warm breath. The tingles I felt made me shiver, which made Eli pull me closer. My face heated when I saw Owen looking at us with one eyebrow raised. I wasn't drunk enough for this amount of public attention.

The girl who was sitting next to Eli huffed and got up, clearly annoyed. I couldn't help but smile slightly, and I guess Owen saw my reaction, and he started to laugh.

"What's up?" Taylor asked him, but he just shook his head.

I giggled and opened one of the coolers I had in my hand and placed the other on the ground beside the couch. There is a possibility that someone was going to take it, but three was enough for me to have the room spinning happily, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Eli repositioned me so that I was against the couch's arm with my legs draped over his. I was still on his lap, but it was a much less awkward position. Much less intimate.

I smiled at him, and he grinned back, bopping my nose before taking a swig of his beer. I wonder how much he had to drink at this point.

I guess in the moments that I had taken to stare at Eli, all of our friends had wandered off. Except for Kyle, who was happily talking to the girl next to him.

"You know I really like you, right?" Eli said?

He was definitely drunk.

"You do?" I asked. My voice was supposed to be teasing, but I think it came off as a bit startled.

He laughed, "Yeah, why else would I trust you with all my secrets?" he said, whispering in my ear. "I want to make all of those romantic daydreams you always have come true... and maybe the not so romantic ones too." His breath was warm against my ear, and I squirmed in his lap.

Drunk Eli was brave, and I needed to match that, as my feelings were sobering me up. He took a minute to take another swig of beer, so I promptly downed my drink and opened the last one.

Eli laughed, "glad I make you feel the need to drink."

I giggled. Maybe by the end of the night, Eli and I would be a couple, or perhaps I would actually kiss him. I looked at his lips, feeling less brave then I was feeling when daydreaming about this moment.

Taylor interrupted the moment, and although I was kind of annoyed, I was also grateful. I am such a chicken, and even drunk, Eli seemed too much of a gentleman to make the first move.

"Let's go dance!" She screamed. I looked at Eli, and he motioned for me to go with her. So I did, following Taylor to the middle of the dance floor.