28 - One Shoe

Breakfast brought me back to childhood. Sitting in front of the TV, eating sugary cereal and watching classic Sunday cartoons. I am not sure precisely who turned them on, but no one objected.

When we eventually woke up after our very late night, I felt surprisingly comfortable and content with Eli's arms wrapped around my middle. I thought after the night we had; I would feel shy or embarrassed since that seemed to be my pattern since I was inexperienced. However, I felt like I belonged there, and I was happy that I had agreed to stay the night in his bed.

Eli seemed happy too because even though I shook him awake, he had planted a kiss on my nose with one eye open before he stretched and lazily climbed out of bed.

Most of us had finished eating by the time Brodie finally graced us with his presence.

He looked like he had already had a rough morning, so maybe he drank more than I realized. I was munching on my cereal happily as Eli draped one arm around my shoulder when Brodie decided to disturb the peace.

"So looks like Betty finally had her first kiss last night."

I snapped my head in his direction, almost dropping my spoon. Sure it wasn't hard to tell I had never been kissed before, but he didn't have to announce it to the whole group. Everyone chuckled, and I blushed.

Eli was grinning from ear to ear, though, "and then she had another one and another one and."

Oh my god! Why would he have to say that? I elbowed him in the stomach, and he stopped. Unluckily he had started Brodie on a tirade because Brodie continued much to my embarrassment.

"And another one and another one."

Not having any of it, I handed Eli my bowl and hopped off the couch, ready to tackle Brodie to the ground to stop him. His eyes got wide, and he took off down the hallway. I paused, not sure if it was worth it.

"Get em!" Encouraged Taylor, who was happily sitting on Jone's lap. I had a feeling that they may have done a little more than kiss last night.

With Taylor's encouragement, I went after Eli's annoying little brother. I chased him around the house, the two of us giggling at our stupid game.

Then, just as I thought he might give up and let me smack him, he ran outside.

I was still in pyjamas, so running outside didn't seem like a lot of fun, but I was going after Brodie, so I didn't have much of a choice when he ran into the back garden.

I stood in the middle of the gardens, looking around me at the lush flowers. Where did that boy go?

I spun around when I heard a small noise, thinking I had finally caught him, but it was Eli, not Brodie.

I was going to keep looking until I noticed the timid look on Eli's face.

"Thanks, Brodie!" he called out.

"No problem," said Brodie, coming out from behind a tree further in the yard. He winked at me before he walked back into the house.

I was now standing in the gardens with just Eli.

What the hell was going on?

Eli smiled down at me and stepped closer. "I know I should have asked you a while ago now. We had a weird connection right away that made it seem like maybe it should have been so simple, but that is what made it seem harder. I have never felt this way before, and maybe I was a bit scared, and I may be a little scared now. Okay, I know this is a bit cheesy but, will you be my girlfriend, Betty?"

My breath caught. I wasn't sure Eli was ever going to ask me after last night. Maybe he wouldn't feel like it was necessary.

He pulled out a large bouquet from behind his back. I have never seen him look so unsure before. I looked down at the flowers and then back up at him. A huge grin came over my face.