3 - Bright Red Slushie

Choosing the perfect first day of school outfit was always important to me, but it had never been more critical than right now.

I took a lot of pride in my outfits, restoring a lot of them myself. With this pride came an overflowing collection of clothing, which meant more choices, which meant the possibility to make a poor choice.

I sifted through the outfits that I had hung up already, but nothing felt right for the moment. I glanced at the boxes of projects that I had yet to unpack and wondered if there might be something better. I was pretty fast at restoring outfits, and my grandma liked to joke that I had a team of mice helping me. However, I am not sure if making something new the morning before school was the best bet.

I ended up settling on a faded mint-green two-piece that I had saved from a budget bin. It had initially been a beach-set, but sewing a second layer on the inside of the shorts ensured that it wouldn't be see-through and may be perfect for the first day.

I pulled off my loose silk pyjama set and slid the shorts over my hips. I did a french tuck, letting the loose, thin t-shirt hang freely over most of my body. With a twirl, I was sure this was perfect. I tied my wavy blonde hair up in a ponytail with a similar coloured scrunchie from my vast collection and put on minimal makeup. I was a bit chilly in my air-conditioned room, but it was going to be hot out today. I was a bit nervous, so it was better to wear shorts and minimal makeup, maybe then my sweat marks wouldn't show.

I grabbed my old backpack before rushing downstairs. I had filled it with a pre-packed lunch and a few pens and paper. Although I had received my class list from the school, I was not exactly sure what else I would need just yet.

After a quick breakfast of oatmeal, I threw on a pair of beige toms and waved bye to my dad, who asked me again if I wanted a ride from him. I declined for the fifth time and got in my car. I was excited to drive to school for the first time. There were going to be a lot of firsts today, but at least I could be excited about one of them.

I know I could technically walk to school from my house, but what is the fun in that when you have a brand new car?

I spent the last two weeks memorizing the ten-block radius around my house, so driving to school took me no time. I had driven around the parking lot a few times, familiarizing myself with the area, but pulling in when it was overflowing with students was a much different experience. Maybe I should have let myself get lost this morning.

Flashes of all the movies I had binged this summer came through my head. I have never been the new kid before, and I didn't want to make myself an easy victim. I shake my head, "those are just movies, Betty." I said quietly to myself. Students at my old school had welcomed the new kids, why would this school be any different?

Locking my car and trying to ignore my racing heart, I made my way towards the main office. I was going to meet my first class teacher, who was going to escort me to class. It was a tactic from the school that I liked. I was much less nervous meeting my teacher than any potential friends.

The main office was at the front of the school, making it easy for me to find my way inside to the young teacher waiting for me.

"Hi, you must be, Betty! I am Ms. Rosie, your first block Spanish teacher!" She held out her hand, and I already felt better.

"Hi, Ms. Rosie," I said, shaking her hand.

Ms. Rosie had her black curly hair tied in a loose bun at the back of her head. She was wearing bright colours, and she had a big grin on her face. She was young, probably in her early-30's, and she seemed exceptionally friendly for a high school teacher.